Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aux fan secondary control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aux fan secondary control?

So what I'm looking to do is add a temperature switch to my e fan, that is plumbed into my trans lines. So my e fan will activate when the trans gets warm. Thus pulling air through my trans cooler as needed.
Looking at the diagrams and write ups, I figure to add the switch onto the blue/pink (or whatever color it is on my 2000) PCM controlled wire to switch it. Question is do I put a diode on the PCM side so it doesn't get feedback or some such and throw a CEL when it powers up?
I would just add a fan to the cooler but really do I need a third fan when the trans cooler site right in front of the factory E fan? Not as I see it.
I just want to add extra cooling as needed based on trans Temps is all.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

I would run a trans temp gauge, and then a fan with a switch inside the cab, that way you can manually turn it on when needed, or just before you do something you know will heat up the trans (like tow up a tall grade / etc.)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rockfrog
So what I'm looking to do is add a temperature switch to my e fan, that is plumbed into my trans lines. So my e fan will activate when the trans gets warm. Thus pulling air through my trans cooler as needed.
Looking at the diagrams and write ups, I figure to add the switch onto the blue/pink (or whatever color it is on my 2000) PCM controlled wire to switch it. Question is do I put a diode on the PCM side so it doesn't get feedback or some such and throw a CEL when it powers up?
I would just add a fan to the cooler but really do I need a third fan when the trans cooler site right in front of the factory E fan? Not as I see it.
I just want to add extra cooling as needed based on trans Temps is all.
Thanks
Wat trans temps are you seeing, and under what conditions?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Having to auxiliary cooler located closer to the passenger side (belt driven fan) will improve auxiliary tranny cooler performance. At just above idle speed, the belt driven fan will move way more air that the efan.

Last edited by djb383; 08-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want extra cooling while towing, and on long hill climbs, my cooler is on the drivers side, gonna stay there.

I just want the efan to be set to kick in when the trans temps climb above 170F, and I would prefer not to do so manually ... might be easy enough for me, not so for the wife.

I'm rolling fine as is, but she starts to run hotter than I prefer it to in the above mentioned situations.

I was just asking about how to accomplish the wiring is all, not the need for it. I have already decided that it is what I wish to do. I currently have a PS cooler and trans cooler installed, moving things around now simply isn't going to happen. I only want the added insurance that should temps start to rise I have a secondary line of cooling already in place, ready to go, based on actual demand ... not just my own paranoid delusions.

But, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 08-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Leaving the tranny cooler on the drivers side is your call.....I'm just pointing out the "free" air flow generated by the belt driven fan. I haven't read/seen a post here doing what u r talking about doing with the factory efan so be sure to post up a "How to" when u git 'er done.