Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

auto techs in here. Need brake advice!!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default auto techs in here. Need brake advice!!

Okay here's the deal. 91 cherokee that had the horrible bendix 9 abs system in it. Ripped it out, put a new non reman master in it. New wheel cylinders, new pads, new shoes, new rotors and drums. Couldn't for the life of me get a decent pedal feel. I started blocking off the front brakes on the master, got a good pedal, so that ruled out the rear being an issue. Next I fashioned me up a plug to block off the front calipers from each other, when i block off the passenger caliper i get a nice hard pedal and i'm able to lock all three remaining brakes up. When the driver is blocked off and the passenger reconnected the pedal goes back to being spongy and weak feeling, so its the passenger front caliper that is my issue. Problem is, the caliper seems fine, its not seized, nor is it leaking. I've bled and bled and bled these things relentless even bled them in between my test numerous times, still no dice. Is it possible for the caliper to still be bad and not leak?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Going to throw this out there....have someone do the pumping of the brakes and observe the actual rubber brake line from the body to the caliper for swelling. Don't know that it would be enough to cause a extremely spongy pedal but if swells at all it would result in a loss of as firm a pedal.

Rubber does get old and will swell. Just a thought to look at.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

X2 on this. Had it with an old Chevy Astro van. Brakes bled fine but as soon as put pressure on the pedal, it would pull to the side as well. Didn't see it until I took it to a friend's place and he saw it happen. Replaced hydraulic hose and it was fine.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

Forgot to add i replaced all the rubber hoses as well. doubt thats it.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Bluemax
so its the passenger front caliper that is my issue. I've bled and bled and bled these things relentless even bled them in between my test numerous times, still no dice.
Bleeder pointing up?