Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another oil leak, but have cleaned/checked everything

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another oil leak, but have cleaned/checked everything

I have an oil leak on my '96 Cherokee. I have searched other threads and checked what cruiser54 always suggests, but still can't figure out where it is coming from.

I had some oil weepage between the block and the head so on 2/20 I did a compression test, everything was great. I thought maybe it could be the distributor gasket, so changed that, valve cover gasket and both CCV elbows at this time.

Now I had planned with my next oil change that I would do the RMS, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter orings and oil pressure sending unit and drain plug, so I just did that on 5/6. I followed the directions for RMS, used the shoehorn and dish soap. It went in flawlessly and with ease. I used ultra black, put in the specified areas and hand tightened it for an hour, then torqued to spec. I used all new fasteners for the oil pan and tightened those to spec.

When everything was put back I ran the engine for 20min to check for any leaks and make sure oil level was good, perfect. Then drove around the block, still no signs. Well went to get on the highway for a short 15mi round trip to costco and get back to leak all the way back on the crossmember, yadada. So I rechecked all torque on OFA, oil pan, oil filter, everything seemed good. I cleaned it up, ran it again for 20min, no signs of leaks. Figured maybe a fluke, read some threads that took some people 100mi or so for their RMS to swell and stop leaking.

Drive again on the highway and leaked about a quart all the way to the back axle. I have recleaned everything, Checked from the top and back of head is dry as can be, oil pan to block area super dry, no leaks at oil pressure unit or OFA. I have done a few mile test drives on the highway and come back. Theres a small leak, maybe 3-6 drops. Some might think this is fine, but I am nervous to drive 10-15mi on the highway that it will leak and burn oil on the exhaust since it seems to only leak at higher speeds/under load.

I have seen where it leaks, below are the pics. One seems to come down the center of the flexplate cover, though the oil pan in that area is dry. Then it is coming down from the starter, then rolls down to the bottom of the bellhousing. It is fresh engine oil, so I know it isn't the tranny leaking, but there is nothing above the starter except the dipstick, which is fully seated and tube is dry.

Hopefully someone can help with all of the details and the photos
Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Appears to be coming from above the starter. From where i dont know seeing as you replaced pretty much everything. What brand o-rings were used for the OFA? I have heard of some parts store kits not being correct, but cant remember the details. Aside from that, all i can think of is the valve cover may have some warpage to it, or the engine oil dipstick is not fully seated, or cracked for whatever reason?

Dont know.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Appears to be coming from above the starter. From where i dont know seeing as you replaced pretty much everything. What brand o-rings were used for the OFA? I have heard of some parts store kits not being correct, but cant remember the details. Aside from that, all i can think of is the valve cover may have some warpage to it, or the engine oil dipstick is not fully seated, or cracked for whatever reason?

Dont know.
The OFA were FelPro.

Here is above the starter at the other problem areas that could leak.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Dipstick and block look dry. I can only assume that its dripping off the oil filter onto the starter. If there isnt any oil on the underside of the oil pressure switch, look between the oil filter and the OFA. If you cant see anything stick a tissue between them, or the edge of a paper towel.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:10 PM

Just took it for a drive and got back, still have a drip on the bellhousing/flexplate cover. Below the OFA is dry as can be.

Looked like there might be a drop or so of something green on the oil filter. Looked above at the heater control valve, was a small area that looked "wet" but underside was dry, not enough that could be this issue, though will look into eliminating it with '97+ hoses.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My mystery leak was from the oil psi sending unit. It did not leak out from the threads but rather the plug itself. I really couldnt see it leaking because it was leaking from the plug, in to the inside of the plastic conduit and then dumped out of the conduit by the starter. So looking straight down at everything, it was dry. Once I opened up the conduit, everything was soaked in oil. New sensor solved my leak.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Pull inspection cover is it wet inside ? Ever change valve cover gasket yet ?

Last edited by freegdr; 05-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
My mystery leak was from the oil psi sending unit. It did not leak out from the threads but rather the plug itself. I really couldnt see it leaking because it was leaking from the plug, in to the inside of the plastic conduit and then dumped out of the conduit by the starter. So looking straight down at everything, it was dry. Once I opened up the conduit, everything was soaked in oil. New sensor solved my leak.
Not sure what you mean by conduit but I replaced it, then have since pulled it to ensure it's dry on inside of the connector.

Originally Posted by freegdr
Pull inspection cover is it wet inside ? Ever change valve cover gasket yet ?
I replaced the valve cover gasket at the end of February and its dry all the way around, even against the firewall. I pulled the inspection cover, there is some oil pooled at the bolt bolt, but not overly wet. Ill clean it and see if it continues or maybe just some residual.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You should get some of that dye that goes in oil and glows when you shine a special light at it. My dad had a leak on his honda that he would have never been able to trace with out useing the dye. It is worth the investment.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by CherokeeCam
Not sure what you mean by conduit but I replaced it, then have since pulled it to ensure it's dry on inside of the connector.
Ribbed black plastic stuff that goes around the wires. Also known as crinkle loom or split loom.