Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another Low Idle Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another Low Idle Cherokee

Ive got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 I6) with about 185,000 on it. Last tune up was about 6,000 miles ago. New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, etc. About a month ago my idle just dropped to about 200 rpms. It's not rough or trying to stall out, but its obviously very low and Im worried.

So far i've tested the fuel pressure at the schrader valve. 49 psi at idle. Tested the MAP sensor. Voltage input is 5V. Numbers were spot on doing vacuum test. Ground is fine. Then I tested the TPS which ended up being bad as it had a dead spot when opening the throttle steadily. So I replaced the TPS. Replaced the IAC as well since cleaning it didnt help anything. I also pulled the entire throttle body off and deep cleaned it and seafoamed the engine. Still, nothing has solved it. When i crank it up my idle sits at 600 rpms for a few seconds then steadily decreases to 200 where it stays. Also, at random, my jeep will hesitate while driving. Never stalled completely though.
The only issue I know I have yet to be resolved is a rattling catalytic converter. My jeep smogged just fine last month but the mech told me I should replace it. Could the cat be my low idle issue and/or hesitation problem?
Any other suggestions so I could rule anything else out?
thx
Old 04-17-2017, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Could be the convertor. Even a partially clogged convertor can affect the idle. The exhaust cant pass as easily so the engine starts choking on its own fumes. This can show up at idle and everyday driving. Should it clog completely, the engine might not even start. Or it will start, but stall soon after. If it rattles, check the heat shield first. The tack welds can break loose and rattle. Mine did that.

As for the TPS, what brand did you replace it with? Mopar is best. Same goes for the IAC.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Could be the convertor. Even a partially clogged convertor can affect the idle. The exhaust cant pass as easily so the engine starts choking on its own fumes. This can show up at idle and everyday driving. Should it clog completely, the engine might not even start. Or it will start, but stall soon after. If it rattles, check the heat shield first. The tack welds can break loose and rattle. Mine did that.

As for the TPS, what brand did you replace it with? Mopar is best. Same goes for the IAC.
My cat has had a rattle for a while. I will certainly look into that. And I'll be honest, I bought the TPS and IAC from autozone, so theyre duralast. I know, blasphemous, but im on a tight budget right now. My wife and I are 5 days out from having our first kid, so money has been put elsewhere to prepare for that. Atleast my spark plugs are champion and my o2 sensors are NTK!