Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

another lift question, give honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default another lift question, give honest opinion

I have an RE 2" lift, and i found a rusty's lift on craigslist for only !00 bucks so i bought it. Im gonna put it on this weekend i hope. I got it mainly for the shocks and front coils, the back is some blocks which i dont want. But im gonna put on to all to my 2" in the back becasue the back sags a little already, so i will have 3.5 inch in the front and about 4 and 1/2 inthe back, Will this be ok till i can get my new leaf springs?? also does anyone have a rustys lift kit what are your opinions on this? thanks so much
Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

How big was the rustys lift? 3"?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM

the guy says 3.5"
Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Year: 2000

By the sounds of it, you know that AAL and blocks are a method of lift that most people try to stay away from, especially when used together. It will work yes, but you may have some axle wrap with the blocks, which will cause some problems. I would just hurry up and get the full leaf packs. Or instead of blocks, get some longer shackles!
Oh and Rustys stuff is middle of the line, similar in quality to Rough Country. Didnt your RE kit come with shocks? why would you need new ones? Are they old?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM

the shocks are great for my RE lift but they are for the two inch lift, im tryin to go bigger and those rustys shocks go for the 3.5" lift, i just gotta put them on and see how it works i guess. also would i need a new drive shaft if i go to 3.5" lift?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by miglia-spyder
By the sounds of it, you know that AAL and blocks are a method of lift that most people try to stay away from, especially when used together. It will work yes, but you may have some axle wrap with the blocks, which will cause some problems. I would just hurry up and get the full leaf packs. Or instead of blocks, get some longer shackles!
Oh and Rustys stuff is middle of the line, similar in quality to Rough Country. Didnt your RE kit come with shocks? why would you need new ones? Are they old?
middle of the line like RC? no... if you read all these lift threads on here you will see most lifts ran on jeeps are RC... and theres a reason for that... next is RE... then probly rustys... but they share alot of the same parts... although RE is probly rated better then RC but your gonna pay for it... all 3... top of the line... and iron rock is getting there for sure
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
middle of the line like RC? no... if you read all these lift threads on here you will see most lifts ran on jeeps are RC... and theres a reason for that... next is RE... then probly rustys... but they share alot of the same parts... although RE is probly rated better then RC but your gonna pay for it... all 3... top of the line... and iron rock is getting there for sure
no no. He is correct. The Rustys lifts and everything are middle to bottom of the line. Just because MORE people run RC or RE and then rustys has NOTHING to do with the quality. I agree RC is a better lift but RC lifts are middle to TOP of the line. BOTH are middle of the line. Rubicon Express is definitly top of the line. Anyway. That is just my opinion from my jeep and all my friends and the people I have met have pretty much agreed. BTW I have nothing against Rough Country, It just is not THE BEST, IN MY OPINION. It is the best for the prices though.

And to answer your question, for 100 bucks, I would go for it. Even if it is Rustys, that is an awesome deal. And as long as you dont romp around on your lift blocks in the real you will not get axle wrap, just be careful and don't offroad crazy. haha. NO JUMPS! But yah you should be fine til you can get spring packs for the rear. I used to drive ford broncos and I ran blocks in the rear for a LONG time and went offroading and everything and never had any problems. I finally upped my lift and went to spring packs but I didnt have any problems with the blocks. I just know that if I would have been crawling alot and stuff I probably would have ran into problems. Anyway, thats my opinion. GO FOR IT!! and post pics. haha
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

I have a Rusty's 6.5" SA lift and have no complaints about it. Rides nice. Flexes great. Got everything I needed and didn't have to order anything else. Good price.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho

for one Rustys sucks, but since you got it cheap run it! for two i would stay away from blocks, they cause axle wrap and if you have no SYE you'll get driveshaft vibes because of your angle..
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

i have the rusty's 5 inch lift with a 2 "bb and other than a slightly stiff ride it handles and performs great
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

thanks everyone, im gonna put the lift on this coming week and pics will be up, also has anyone even heard of the 3.5 lift from Rustys?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

also can anyone answer my question about the drive shaft? will i need a new one or will the one i have now work for now?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jonjon99xj
also can anyone answer my question about the drive shaft? will i need a new one or will the one i have now work for now?
At 3.5" you're borderline on the driveshaft issue. Some guys continue to run the stock slip-yoke setup without any issues, others have problems with vibes or the splines slipping out and dropping the shaft. If you do an SYE, you can use a front DS for the rear. They are plentiful and usually pretty cheap (used front shafts that is). I would just do the lift, and then see what your DS situation ends up being from there.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM

i talked to my cousin and said that so im planning to put it on this next monday and tuesday, wish me luck, pics will be up asap
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM

Default awesome

keep us updated!!

Quick Reply: another lift question, give honest opinion