Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

annoying electrical issues

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default annoying electrical issues

I have a 2000 cherokee with 176K miles and it runs amazing but has a fair share of electical issues with the interior controls

the power windows only work from the driver door panel controls, you can't roll the windows from any of the other doors. It does RARELY work but its very random and not very often at all. also the driver door window doesn't stop rolling up or down it will just keep cranking and slipping.

Sometimes my power locks stop working for no reason.

And lastly, my stereo will shut it's self off and then restart if the volume is up too high (not very loud tho). it's an alpine deck but everything else is stock. The front passenger door speaker shuts off if that window is rolled all the way down.

I'm terrible with troubleshooting electrical issues I don't really know much about it. I would appreciate some input and advise thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

chances are you have a few problems, but before you replace anything have a good look at the wiring between the body and the doors. broken /rubbed though wiring can cause a lot of issues. Sometimes speaker leads that are shorted will shut a head unit off......
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

I had similar problems, it was the wiring harness between the door and body as mentioned. I ended up taking it out, cutting all the wires (one at a time) that were stressed where they bend. Just used some 14 gauge stranded wire, and soldered everything and used heatshrink over the solder joints. Then I wrapped the bundle of wires in A LOT of electrical tape, and put it back through the boot.

If you end up doing this, make sure you put the boot back in all the way. for me it seemed to be a big pain to do, so I left it just partially in. Within a few days, the wires managed to start rubbing bare metal and I had to redo a few of the wires for a 2nd time... not fun!

Some problems I had were
-intermittent locks/windows
-radio would shut off and restart when the door was opened
-speaker wasn't working (or the tweeter i got from the junkyard for that side)