Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alignment issues???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alignment issues???

Hello to all. I have a 2000 Classic 4WD. I just changed out the trackbar, drag link, tie rod ends (pitman, both tires, & one at track bar passenger). The only things I didn't change were the, steering damper, tie rod sleeve and adjusting sleeves. My dad decided to help (God bless his soul) and, while I took a break, decided to take off the old track bar and tie rod sleeve with all tie rods attached. This sent the steering wheel turning with no one to see how far and to which side. It was a pain putting the pitman arm back as close to the original position of the steering wheel. I measured tires and space between tie rod ends. I also counted the screw grooves to try to match the spacing to the original. Prior to the suspension upgrade the XJ was aligned well by a local shop. I did add a fatbob's 2" BB including shackles about 6-8 months ago and the alignment was still good. The guy at the shop said 2" wasn't enough to change alignment.

Anyway...after we were done bolting everything back up I noticed the passenger side tire was a little inward, while the driver side looks straight. The steering wheel is off center to the left about 25%. I've been looking around for info before I go to the alignment shop. I know adjusting the tie rod sleeve will affect toe in, but I don't think it will help me with the right side tire being inward more than the left, will it? I know I can adjust the steering wheel at the pitman adjusting sleeve. Do I have to knock out the left tie rod and readjust in and out to straighten the wheel? All other suspension components look good. Any help is welcomed.

Last edited by T-Roy-TX; 07-08-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I would unbolt your tie rod etc, raise jeep, straighten the tires as best as you can by eye balling it. Then Lower JEEP so that you more or less have ALL tires on ground and pointed straight. Then adjust all your linkages to bolt in etc. Then drive to a Alignment shop.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks RubenZ. I thought just working the adjusting sleeve would do little. I appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by RubenZ
I would unbolt your tie rod etc, raise jeep, straighten the tires as best as you can by eye balling it. Then Lower JEEP so that you more or less have ALL tires on ground and pointed straight. Then adjust all your linkages to bolt in etc. Then drive to a Alignment shop.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

if its not that bad ya that would work too LOL
Old 07-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Well....I drove on a fresh patch of asphalt and the tire squeals where it's off center. I think I better take off the passenger side tie rod and push out (unscrew the tie rod) the tire a little. Suspension seems pretty straight forward.

Originally Posted by RubenZ
if its not that bad ya that would work too LOL