Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

alarm/remote start help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default alarm/remote start help

im wanting to install a viper 5901 with remote start and two window modules in my jeep. Ive installe dplenty of radios and systems, but i have no idea where to start on this thing, if anyone could hel me id appreciate it, or if anyone has installed one adn could help me with wiring locations i would greatly appreciate it thxx
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2, im also curious about this. also do cherokees require a bypass module to make them work, or is that a GM only thing?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

x3 haha i've been playing around with this idea myself.. looks like we'll have to wait to see what turns up
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l

Originally Posted by 84wagoneer
X2, im also curious about this. also do cherokees require a bypass module to make them work, or is that a GM only thing?
'99 to '01 need the bypass. These will have the grey(Chrysler type) key, you will require TWO keys to program the bypass module
Old 12-21-2009, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

i had this installed by bestbuy, i love it, works awesome. If u get it from bestbuy they install it for free. Just sayin
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: blown 4.7

I hate to say this but a model number of the window box would help greatly
Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 AM

Year: 1990

Yes Bestbuy will install for "free" but what you dont know is the price of the installation is included in the price of the alarm, they actually charge 200 to put it in. I was an installer for bestbuy for 5 years before i ran my own shop. If you have never done one, do not attempt to try this yourself with out the assistance of a qualified tech. i can give you the print out for your vehicle that lists the wiring colors and locations but there are alot of things that can go wrong and window modules are a pain in the @$$!!! Running Free is correct in that if it has a grey key you will need a bypass, the directed version is called a TBXKEY. It is a transponder type bypass that will make your vehicle think that a key is in the ignition. But only if it is a grey key, if it has no plastic cover or is black no bypass is neccessary. your best bet is to buy one off of ebay, goto bestbuy and tell an experienced tech that you will throw him 50-75 for the installation to do it away from work and that way you will get the alarm cheaper as well as the install.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by tmilford34
Yes Bestbuy will install for "free" but what you dont know is the price of the installation is included in the price of the alarm, they actually charge 200 to put it in. I was an installer for bestbuy for 5 years before i ran my own shop. If you have never done one, do not attempt to try this yourself with out the assistance of a qualified tech. i can give you the print out for your vehicle that lists the wiring colors and locations but there are alot of things that can go wrong and window modules are a pain in the @$$!!! Running Free is correct in that if it has a grey key you will need a bypass, the directed version is called a TBXKEY. It is a transponder type bypass that will make your vehicle think that a key is in the ignition. But only if it is a grey key, if it has no plastic cover or is black no bypass is neccessary. your best bet is to buy one off of ebay, goto bestbuy and tell an experienced tech that you will throw him 50-75 for the installation to do it away from work and that way you will get the alarm cheaper as well as the install.
www.the12volt.com is a GREAT place to start. They have almost every wiring chart you'd ever need. If you just follow the directions with the alarm carefully, and that wiring chart from the12volt.com you should be able to handle it.

The bypass module....i have the chrysler key, but mines black not grey? i know the grey one you're referring to my buddy has it on his JK.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Thxx id rather do it myself bestbuy has ****** rigged my stuff and my buddys stuff before so no thxx
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM

Year: 1996

Thats when having a family member that works there is fantastic, let them drive the jeep to work and give them the cost (Best Buy's cost) and they get free install too
Old 12-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy at visions priced a bypass module for my 97. glad i didnt buy it.

im an electrician so auto electrical systems dont scare me. i know before i started the trade it was like chinese, once you learn how electricity works its so simple.

so without a bypass module and no keyless entry or windows or anything (truck has manual doors and windows ) and an auto transmission, it would be a relatively straightforward install?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l

Yeah your rig would be easy to install a remote starter in
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM

ok well i dont wanna mess anything up so im taking my jeep to a friend i made that owns his own tinting,audio,alarm shop. i had a question though what do you think is a fair price to have this installed, its a viper 5901 with 2 window modules, remote start and all that? he told me he charges by the hour for it becuz its not a system from one of his sponors thxx
Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Year: 01

WHHHHOOOOOOOAAA!

I was looking at this ebay auction which has the instruction for use of the TBXKEY. Is this really the only way to install a remote start to a 2001 Cherokee Sport? My key is not black. I didn't know there was a chip in it. I only have one key. Do I have to get another key just to have remote start? It seems that's optional (note Option B). The thing that's confusing me about purchasing this is from any website is whether you get the large piece and the small piece. I use these terms out of my confusion as to which is the module and which is the transponder, if they are one and the same and the other is something else.

Last edited by metoo; 04-17-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

my dad had one installed in his 04 taco, definitely not something you want to go about doing unless you have....well installed one before, also i would think that if you didnt install the pressure sensors right it would probably get very annoying....as for the remote start, it was installed on a manual(which many places wont do) and the wiring done by these guys for the system turned out to be a good bit of wires or at least enough to make you want to rip your head off if you ****ed something up.....just saying

Quick Reply: alarm/remote start help