Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default airbag light

So I've got 5 more days to get this thing inspected. The only problem is, the airbag light is on, and I know they will not pass it this way. It does not stay on all the time. Am I correct that there is a sensor under the seat that controls this? The seat in this thing is pretty whipped, so I'm wondering if that is my issue?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6

My 98 sport's airbag light comes on due to a loose plug connection behind my cluster. If I tap the top of the dash it goes out, or under neath the cluster to the right behind the ignition key. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Year: 98

Originally Posted by stickey
My 98 sport's airbag light comes on due to a loose plug connection behind my cluster. If I tap the top of the dash it goes out, or under neath the cluster to the right behind the ignition key. Hope this helps.

just bought a 98 and on the way home the airbag light came on and the tach and speedometer quit working. a few minutes later, it went off, and the tach/speedo started working agian. Does yours do this?

i tapped the gauges and dash with no luck, but then I changed the heater fan speed and it started working again and the airbag light went out.

I noticed that no matter the setting, air only comes out of the defroster. think I could have ground issues?

thanks

Last edited by scubasteve; 11-26-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: specify year
Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

mine comes all the time when it gets wet and drys off and goes away , you cant clear an airbag code with a normal scan tool , just find a friend of a friend that does inspections and buy a sticker , makes life alot easier
Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Year: 2001

Airbag lights are not part of the inspection from what I heard... Ask your local inspector before you drive yourself crazy over it. States do vary on there inspection laws so ask your inspector first... I would still want it fixed if I were you but you should be able to still get inspected for now...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MrJCRod
Airbag lights are not part of the inspection from what I heard... Ask your local inspector before you drive yourself crazy over it. States do vary on there inspection laws so ask your inspector first... I would still want it fixed if I were you but you should be able to still get inspected for now...
hmm here in jersey they will fail if any dash lights are on , espeacily an air bag light wich is a main saftey system
Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DEVILSTOY
hmm here in jersey they will fail if any dash lights are on , espeacily an air bag light wich is a main saftey system
Just checked this link and when I was an inspector in NY 2 years ago air bag lights were not part of the inspection and are not here in NC either, check out the complete link as quite a few NJ residents passed this year with air bag lights on...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1184223
Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Just checked this link and when I was an inspector in NY 2 years ago air bag lights were not part of the inspection and are not here in NC either, check out the complete link as quite a few NJ residents passed this year with air bag lights on...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1184223
hmm i didnt know that , i actually know people who failed for that , maybe because NJ inspection employees think there some type of over powerd ****'s and can be dicks about everything
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 PM

hmm i didnt know that , i actually know people who failed for that , maybe because NJ inspection employees think there some type of over powerd ****'s and can be dicks about everything
very possible. In NY if a customer questioned a particular part of the inspection that they failed for I either pulled out the inspection guidelines or I would call a 1-800 # to a tech line who would verify the failure for the customer. I don't know if they do that in NJ but if an inspector would fail one of my vehicles there I would want them to provide proof on questionable items like airbags or front driveshafts with torn boots (not a reason for failure either). Inspectors should be able to provide their states guidelines.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

very possible. In NY if a customer questioned a particular part of the inspection that they failed for I either pulled out the inspection guidelines or I would call a 1-800 # to a tech line who would verify the failure for the customer. I don't know if they do that in NJ but if an inspector would fail one of my vehicles there I would want them to provide proof on questionable items like airbags or front driveshafts with torn boots (not a reason for failure either). Inspectors should be able to provide their states guidelines.
they hated my one truck , i had dual exhaust out of the muffler and the guy was telling me i needed 2 cats on my truck and i argued him then he failed me for no numbers on my shifter (manual trans) and my mirrors were dirty wich by dirty i mean had water spots from a recent rain we had , there just dicks here and never give probable proof behind anything
Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

As a NJ inspector I can tell you it will fail.("over powerd ****'s and can be dicks about everything")(not true) Have it checked for codes to verify where the fault lies and then you can fix it and be done with it, most auto parts stores will scan for free.....ie autozone and advance auto will be happy to scan it.

Check the wire in the seat belt strap on the right side of the driver seat for chafs or breaks( personel experience)
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Willys55
As a NJ inspector I can tell you it will fail.("over powerd ****'s and can be dicks about everything")(not true) Have it checked for codes to verify where the fault lies and then you can fix it and be done with it, most auto parts stores will scan for free.....ie autozone and advance auto will be happy to scan it.

Check the wire in the seat belt strap on the right side of the driver seat for chafs or breaks( personel experience)
i work in a shop and have own scan tools , my vehicle doesnt have the problem , and i didnt mean to offend you persoanlly , i apologize , but every inspection agency i ever delt with have been total dicks about everything
Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

I'm not offened I was responding to the original poster. , and clearing the air from my point of view. As with every profession there are always a few bad apples.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:00 AM

Year: 98

OK, so no ideas where to start to diagnosis the airbag light? other than kick a few idiot inspectors in the #$% I would like to fix my dash, but it works correctly 99% of the time so I am having a hard time determining where to start looking.

on a side note: I like living in Indiana where we don't test for anything. I had a Camaro with a create motor that killed squirrels when I drove by (he he )...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Where are you at? In NY they will pass it with the airbag light on, but have to recommend that you fix the problem. Just checked with my brother who is an inspector to verify that the information hasn't changed since I was an inspector.

Quick Reply: airbag light