Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

air cond questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default air cond questions

replacing compressor,orfice tube and dryer.
ran flush thru cond and evap and vacumed it out for long period of time. not perfect but good as i can.
comp came with 3 oz of oil in it. the shop manual is kind of confusing about oil amount as follows;

Refrigerant Oil Capacities
Component ml fl oz

A/C System 180 6.1
Accumulator 90 3
Condenser 22 .75
Evaporator 45 1.5

Compressor
drain and measure
the oil from the old
compressor as noted.

my comp drained none! it says ac syst 6.1 then shows 3 parts with amounts??
i dont want too little or too much.

should i add some, like 3 oz?

then charge with freon. it calls for 20 oz so i can do that.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

Did the old compressor lock up? Was there any visible debris? The parallel-flow condenser won't flush reliably if debris is lodged in it. Ditto for the evaporator if it uses the same construction.

There should be a specification for the amount of oil to be used in the entire AC system. If the new compressor came with 3 oz of oil from the factory I would dump that out and put the same amount of fresh oil in, then split the balance of the required oil between a couple of other components in the system.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Banned

i need to know whats required
Old 07-04-2017, 11:47 PM

If the system appears to be clean (no metal shards from compressor failure) I would go ahead and install the oil as previously mentioned, 3 oz in the compressor (after dumping out the original oil), the rest as specified for the AC system placed in other components. Then vacuum, test that vacuum holds, fill to spec with refrigerant, check results. Although I have not had to do this kind of work on my XJ, I have done so on another vehicle with a similar Sanden compressor and that procedure worked well.

But if there was debris in your AC system you'd be taking a chance there is still some lodged in the condenser and possibly evaporator that might cause problems.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rambler65
If the system appears to be clean (no metal shards from compressor failure) I would go ahead and install the oil as previously mentioned, 3 oz in the compressor (after dumping out the original oil), the rest as specified for the AC system placed in other components. Then vacuum, test that vacuum holds, fill to spec with refrigerant, check results. Although I have not had to do this kind of work on my XJ, I have done so on another vehicle with a similar Sanden compressor and that procedure worked well.

But if there was debris in your AC system you'd be taking a chance there is still some lodged in the condenser and possibly evaporator that might cause problems.
why dump oil in new comp??
Old 07-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
why dump oil in new comp??
It has been exposed to atmospheric moisture since manufacture. (The compressor I bought specifically stated in the instructions to dump out the oil it came with and put in fresh oil from a sealed bottle.)

The oil used in R134a AC systems is very prone to absorbing moisture and should be left exposed to atmosphere for as short a time as possible. (Pulling vacuum does not remove moisture absorbed by the oil.)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rambler65
It has been exposed to atmospheric moisture since manufacture. (The compressor I bought specifically stated in the instructions to dump out the oil it came with and put in fresh oil from a sealed bottle.)

The oil used in R134a AC systems is very prone to absorbing moisture and should be left exposed to atmosphere for as short a time as possible. (Pulling vacuum does not remove moisture absorbed by the oil.)
new comp was sealed and pressurized. no note to dump and add new. only to add what was needed by system. even though i vacumed the cond and evap im sure there was some oil left in them.i added for the accum/dryer and im going to vac for a while and try it.i know its not perfect but ive seen worse jobs be ok.i appreciate your detailed comments and knowledge.
it may outlast me!!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
new comp was sealed and pressurized. no note to dump and add new. only to add what was needed by system. even though i vacumed the cond and evap im sure there was some oil left in them.i added for the accum/dryer and im going to vac for a while and try it.i know its not perfect but ive seen worse jobs be ok.i appreciate your detailed comments and knowledge.
it may outlast me!!
Ah, you should be OK then. Admittedly I do tend to be a somewhat old-school when it comes to this stuff.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

its COLD!!,,,today.
ill see in 4 hours if all is well.
thanks again,,naptime!!