Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aftermarket Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket Cold Air Intake System

I'm thinking about installing an intake system on my 96 jeep cherokee, I have been looking on ebay and found some for around 60 bucks. Should i be weary of these cheaper models as opposed to the K&N or AEM. Also That components will i need, I dont want to buy one then realized I need more parts that the kit left out. And one last question is the performance and benefits of these intakes really make that big of a difference, it seems everyone that has one loves it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Check out Rustys stuff, i dont have one but ill be ordering one this spring

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=PER_AIR
Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by Jake Visscher
I'm thinking about installing an intake system on my 96 jeep cherokee, I have been looking on ebay and found some for around 60 bucks. Should i be weary of these cheaper models as opposed to the K&N or AEM. Also That components will i need, I dont want to buy one then realized I need more parts that the kit left out. And one last question is the performance and benefits of these intakes really make that big of a difference, it seems everyone that has one loves it. Any help would be appreciated.
Im not sure on ebay kits. Advance auto has an AEM (well i think its an AEM.. guess im not 100% on that) universal kit for like 50$...which is easily modded to a good fit. It has everything needed to get it on included.

Thats what im running and I personally like it, I cant claim i have TONS more HP out of it but it DOES for sure have a more sensitive gas application, which is a good thing!

Last edited by storm101; 01-28-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

You'd be better off taking that $60 and filling up your tank. They are a waste of money and only serve as bling on an XJ.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by robertj
You'd be better off taking that $60 and filling up your tank. They are a waste of money and only serve as bling on an XJ.
no, you do get some added power. i had one on my old xj and we timed the before and after on a short stretch of a long driveway and the time went from 12.4 (average of 3 tries) seconds to 11.9 (average of another 3 tries) seconds flooring it every time
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

haha bling....nice.... i've always had some kind of aftermarket intake on my vehicles, you wont really be able to tell much difference in gas mileage, maybe 1 mpg....maybe! It has a cool sound when you get on it, it could help with power a little bit but it wont be noticeable that much. i have a K&N filter, bought the tube for like 30 bucks and the filter for 40 so......cheaper that way instead of a K&N kit
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by taythegibs
no, you do get some added power. i had one on my old xj and we timed the before and after on a short stretch of a long driveway and the time went from 12.4 (average of 3 tries) seconds to 11.9 (average of another 3 tries) seconds flooring it every time
Sounds real scientific.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Look at my sig. I'm all for CAI, but in order to truely take advantage of them you need a tune of some sort. Even then, most of the gain comes from the tune and not the CAI. Seriously, on these XJs they are a waste of money. But if it floats your boat go for it.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM

huh... i noticed increased performance when i installed my "bling"!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

Look at my sig. I'm all for CAI, but in order to truely take advantage of them you need a tune of some sort. Even then, most of the gain comes from the tune and not the CAI. Seriously, on these XJs they are a waste of money. But if it floats your boat go for it.
The reason that your mustang needs a tune is because the MAF cars are picky on MAF location and angle.....MAP sensor vehicles like the jeeps are more leanant....i noticed a difference with my FIPK kit.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

actually the XJs do benifit from a SRI or CAI, it has been proven, you dont need to "tune" an xj after that the computer/sensors compensate for that automatically.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Year: 1998

I have the K&N kit.. not much for a performance gain, but i noticed slightly better fuel mileage.. I got more performance out of the Accel coil....

Kind of a waste of $$$ IMO.. when I'm wheelin I get scared of it sucking up water (it sits out in the wide open behind the drivers headlamp... with a bunch of holes underneath it....)
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter K&N intake, Hushpower 40 series exhaust

If you want a good long lasting washable filter buy a K&N. If you want power or any performance gains that you can notice save your money for a supercharger or something.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Year: 2001 XJ Limited

Does a K&N set up with filter and intake have a sound or noise to it when the jeep is running. It might be a dumb question, but I haven't heard one. If so, does it sound good?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

Originally Posted by baycountry16
Does a K&N set up with filter and intake have a sound or noise to it when the jeep is running. It might be a dumb question, but I haven't heard one. If so, does it sound good?
gives it a throaty sound, romp romp when u step on it, lol, usually you cant really hear them until you get on the gas a little bit.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Cold Air Intake System