Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

After one month of Ownership, heres what im working with.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default After one month of Ownership, heres what im working with.

Okay so first off, I love this thing. It has paid for itself already and I do not regret my decision at all. I expect to be driving this car for a very long time.

That being said, here are the issues I have and I need advice.

1) It has that cold start issue. But here is the thing, it is completely dependent on temperature. In the morning, it is already low 80s. It will crank for 30 seconds or so and then finally catch. But here is the thing, it starts right as the battery light turns on. So its cranking and cranking, then the battery light shines up, it starts to crank a little faster and bam, it starts. I have to give it a little gas but once its started its great. The car will sit outside for 8-9 hours while I am at work, and it gets hot as all hell. If its hot outside, it will start after only cranking for 5 or so seconds. But again, as soon as the battery light turns on, it starts. Weird right?

At this point I'm not so sure its the check valve in the pump. Is there a temp sensor that could mess with starts?

2) When making right turns, i hear a grinding in the right rear of the car. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing but why would it grind when taking weight off of it?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The noise could be brakes, possibly the e brake shoes. As far the start. When was the last time you cleaned the injectors? How about the sensors on the TB? Also year, motor, transmission, etc?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Not everyone can see what year you're working on.
Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by docmedpros
The noise could be brakes, possibly the e brake shoes. As far the start. When was the last time you cleaned the injectors? How about the sensors on the TB? Also year, motor, transmission, etc?
I guess that information would help. It is a 95 4.0 automatic 2 wheel drive. I have cleaned the idle control valve which was filthy and I did the spark plugs. I have not looked at the injectors yet.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I would start at the fuel filter and work my way to the engine. It's routine maintenance so might as well get it knocked out and find your problem I'm the midst. Like I said about the noise, check the brakes, bearings.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 AM

Good call. Thanks. I'll try to knock that out today.

Here's another thing, when I'm accelerating and I let good the throttle, I sometimes feel a slight knock. Control arms?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by SergeK
Good call. Thanks. I'll try to knock that out today.

Here's another thing, when I'm accelerating and I let good the throttle, I sometimes feel a slight knock. Control arms?
More likely u-joints in rear drive shaft.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Heres another thing I just discovered. Today was the first time I drove more than about 5 miles in one trip. I drove about 20 miles and went to fill up gas, and the fuel system was VERY pressurized. Air hissed out of the tank for 3-4 seconds with a partially unscrewed gas cap.

Ideas? Could this be a part of my cold start issues?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Heres another thing I just discovered. Today was the first time I drove more than about 5 miles in one trip. I drove about 20 miles and went to fill up gas, and the fuel system was VERY pressurized. Air hissed out of the tank for 3-4 seconds with a partially unscrewed gas cap.

Ideas? Could this be a part of my cold start issues?
Sounds like fuel pressure regulator related issue.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Not everyone can see what year you're working on.
Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
This needs to be supplied.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by freegdr
This needs to be supplied.
Check post 4 freegdr. BTW hope everything is working out for ya bud
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by drhoward1988
Check post 4 freegdr. BTW hope everything is working out for ya bud
musta missed that. Im good jeeps mine so always got a bed. Have you checked for codes yet ? Also have you tried cycling the key a few time b4 starting yet...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:00 AM

Okay so my cold start issue is definitely temperature related. It's in the low 60s right now and it took me almost 5 minutes to get it started. Really irritating. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Okay so first off, I love this thing. It has paid for itself already and I do not regret my decision at all. I expect to be driving this car for a very long time.

That being said, here are the issues I have and I need advice.

1) It has that cold start issue. But here is the thing, it is completely dependent on temperature. In the morning, it is already low 80s. It will crank for 30 seconds or so and then finally catch. But here is the thing, it starts right as the battery light turns on. So its cranking and cranking, then the battery light shines up, it starts to crank a little faster and bam, it starts. I have to give it a little gas but once its started its great. The car will sit outside for 8-9 hours while I am at work, and it gets hot as all hell. If its hot outside, it will start after only cranking for 5 or so seconds. But again, as soon as the battery light turns on, it starts. Weird right?

At this point I'm not so sure its the check valve in the pump. Is there a temp sensor that could mess with starts?

2) When making right turns, i hear a grinding in the right rear of the car. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing but why would it grind when taking weight off of it?

Check each ground in your engine bay for corrosion and security.

This entails removing the wire ring terminals from their attach points and cleaning them with a Scotch-Brite pad or 400 grit sandpaper, removing any corrosion from the attach points, then securely reassembling the grounds.

This includes the battery post connectors.

Pay close attention to the alternator connections on the alternator. Corrosion/security.

See if this helps. If not, the next time it does the generator light on/starts routine, see if you can hook a voltmeter to the battery and see what is happening. If the battery voltage drops to below 9 volts the PCM goes nuts. See if the voltage drops while cranking then jumps up.

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the thermostat housing plays a big roll in fuel management. If it is failing/failed it may be causing your problem, but the ECT connector should be inspected for corrosion and security before condemning the ECT.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 AM

Awesome. Thank you.

Quick Reply: After one month of Ownership, heres what im working with.