Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice on JGC purchace...help me out guys !

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Advice on JGC purchace...help me out guys !

Hi all .... I am in the market to buy a Grand Cherokee and do NOT know the vehicle that well ! I have been looking a lot and asking a lot of questions. So... if you all could help me out I would appreciate it ! I have a budget...but I am willing to pay a bit more for the right Jeep. Mainly 1 owner, low mileage ones !! I am thinking.... maybe a 2010 to 2015 but I cannot decide on a V6 3.6 engine or a V8 5.7, I am quite sure the V8 gets worse mileage, but ??? I will NOT be doing any serious off roading, just a little to get me off road to fish and ski. I do pull a small utility trailer a few times a year to haul material to my jobs. I here some bad stories about the V6 Pentastar motor of certain years, but not sure which ones to stay away from. The V8's I am not sure about.?
I had been a factory trained GM mechanic for many years and I am VERY confident in my technical/mechanical skills ! I do not want to buy something that will be a lot of work/ maintenance.
So if you all could give me a little advice on makes, models, 4 wheel drive systems to look for , but more importantly to stay away from, I would appreciate it, Thanks

Last edited by krrzowner; 02-02-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Please re post in different catagory, WK stock forum, thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by krrzowner
Hi all .... I am in the market to buy a Grand Cherokee and do NOT know the vehicle that well ! I have been looking a lot and asking a lot of questions. So... if you all could help me out I would appreciate it ! I have a budget...but I am willing to pay a bit more for the right Jeep. Mainly 1 owner, low mileage ones !! I am thinking.... maybe a 2010 to 2015 but I cannot decide on a V6 3.6 engine or a V8 5.7, I am quite sure the V8 gets worse mileage, but ??? I will NOT be doing any serious off roading, just a little to get me off road to fish and ski. I do pull a small utility trailer a few times a year to haul material to my jobs. I here some bad stories about the V6 Pentastar motor of certain years, but not sure which ones to stay away from. The V8's I am not sure about.?
I had been a factory trained GM mechanic for many years and I am VERY confident in my technical/mechanical skills ! I do not want to buy something that will be a lot of work/ maintenance.
So if you all could give me a little advice on makes, models, 4 wheel drive systems to look for , but more importantly to stay away from, I would appreciate it, Thanks
Might want to post this in a WK2 forum, this is the XJ forum. The WK2 model year started in 2011. Regardless, here is my opinion after owning a WK2. Get the 5.7 Hemi with the 8-speed transmission, after 2014. Gas mileage is decent with the cylinder deactivation at speed, which is seamless and not noticeable to me. YMMV.