Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

advance auto parts... Never again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default advance auto parts... Never again...

I recently changed my transmission fluid, and the cashier at advance said I needed dextron III But I said atf+4. He showed me on the screen so I bought the dextron. Turns out I was riht about the atf+4! 2 weeks later, time for a new transmission. I will never, ever go to another advance auto parts again! Goodbye advance, hello autozone!

Last edited by bigjustice91; 09-13-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: misprint
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Dexron III is what you should use.....

Sounds like you didnt add enough. Where did you drain it from and how much did you put in.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM

drained from my drain plug. Drained about 4 qts, and put in 4 qts. Fluid was full when it started happening, but I drained it out and didn't even look like tranny fluid (it was almost black),but when I changed it before it looked fine. I had atf+4 in it before and nothing ever happened. And chrysler recommends atf+3 or atf+4 for all vehichles.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Taken from AllPar-
There is an important exception for Jeep owners. As Danny noted, "The Jeep AW-4 (Aisin-Warner) transmission should use Dexron III." Greg, a DCX tech, wrote that the AW4/AX4 transmission was used on 6-cylinder Jeep Cherokees through the end of production, and on the first six-cylinder 1993 Grand Cherokees (built in 1992 and 1993), but on the Grand Cherokee it was phased out midway through the 1993 model year. This transmission requires Dexron, while the 42RE / A500SE which replaced the Aisin-Warner transmission midway in the 1993 model year needs ATF+4. Again, if you are confused, you may just want to try one of the new universal fluids that is both Dexron and ATF+4 compatible.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Year: 1999 Stone White
Engine: 4.0

Although they (parts stores) are often wrong, they were right in this case. The correct fluid for your transmission is DexIII. The AW4 is not made by Chrysler (thank God) and is one of the high points of the XJ drive train. You said the fluid was black before you had problems and you used ATF+4 in the past? What problems are you having?

Tranny shops will often just say "you need a new transmission", when in you might only need a solenoid or something not too expensive. If you do need a new tranny, the AW4 is very available from junk yards and usually cheap.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Hate to say this but your trans was toast before you went to Advance. They spoke the truth...your trans uses Dex III.

Black is not a natural transmission fluid color.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

If your trans fluid was that black then putting in new fluid may have been what killed it- I have been told by a few trans mechanics that on an auto trans if they go too long witout a fluid change then chaning the fluid can cause slippage and serious problems...

AW4 is cheap and plentiful in the JY.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Well what happened was,the first time I changed it I put in atf+4 and a new filter. When I changed it the second time (the old atf+4) fluid looked fine, so I put in the dex III and when I drained that out (because of the trans problems) it looked black. All it's been doing is higher rpm rate (even when trans & motor are warm), very rough shifting (like throwing it into gear), and also winding noise coming from transmission (like a high pitch noise)
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Either way, always do your research first or ask somebody up here before you go to any of those places. Very seldome do you actually find anybody at those places that know what they are talking about or do they know how to work a computer.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bigjustice91
Well what happened was,the first time I changed it I put in atf+4 and a new filter. When I changed it the second time (the old atf+4) fluid looked fine, so I put in the dex III and when I drained that out (because of the trans problems) it looked black. All it's been doing is higher rpm rate (even when trans & motor are warm), very rough shifting (like throwing it into gear), and also winding noise coming from transmission (like a high pitch noise)
Thats because you didnt flush it. You went DexIII to ATF+4, you need to flush and refill completely before switching to ATF+4. And even than ATF+4 can do damage. You should not switch back and forth let alone mix them like you did. Fluid didnt kill your trans, you did.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

This is why I would not work on cars or in a parts store for a living.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Don't the 4 cyl versions use ATF+4? I think I saw in the owners manual that the fluids are different depending on the engine. I don't know which engine the OP has.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mende21
Don't the 4 cyl versions use ATF+4? I think I saw in the owners manual that the fluids are different depending on the engine. I don't know which engine the OP has.
From 94-2000 there was a Chrysler 30RH 3 speed tranny, but it was only in the 2.5 I4, that required ATF+4
Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Destro
If your trans fluid was that black then putting in new fluid may have been what killed it- I have been told by a few trans mechanics that on an auto trans if they go too long witout a fluid change then chaning the fluid can cause slippage and serious problems...
I've been told this by a couple master mechanics, but none have ever actually shown me hard evidence or explained how this can occur. Unless someone can put down factual evidence, I'm gonna suggest taking this with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
This is why I would not work on cars or in a parts store for a living.
Why? Cuz you don't know what your doing? Its not difficult to learn. There is no seceret to vehicles that you've been kept from.

I have heard several "horror stories" with auto parts stores involved. Most of them sound like they are 'modified' versions of what this thread turned into. A problem that was indeed caused by the OP.

I was, and have always been under the impression that stores such as Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Checker, Napa, etc are stores for the DIY'er. For people who know what they are doing, know what they need to get the job done, and don't want to pay the extra cash for a dealership or other mechanic shop to do the labor/other work themselves, because labor is expensive, and its pointless to pay someone to do something you yourself can do.

So how is it that its come to blaming these parts stores for not knowing exactly what we need, or know what fluid to use? Are we as the consumer suppose to know what we need? Do you go to the grocery store, buy a turkey, and get upset because the cashier didn't sell you the dressing and sides?

Don't you think these auto parts store workers would be working at a dealership or actual mechanic's shop if they were that smart? No, they just feel like working for minimum wage even though they have a deep understanding and knowledge of the hundreds of makes, models, trim/engine/trans combos their respective stores sell.

Really guys, its a damn auto parts store. Not much different than a grocery store. If you want your workers to know everything about YOUR truck, then go to the dealership (not that they are much better, honestly). Cuz while your *****ing at the register guy at the parts store cuz the fluid for your **Jeep** is wrong, the a$$hole behind you is waiting to complain cuz the part for his **Hon-duh** with a B-246354j rice swap is also wrong.

See what I'm getting at?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Parts stores must be doing something right. They've stayed in business a long time and the dude did say DEXIII. Only 2 occupations I know where u can consistently be wrong and not get fired - weather man and geologist. LOL

Quick Reply: advance auto parts... Never again...