Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Add-a-leaf as bad as made out to be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Add-a-leaf as bad as made out to be?

I went to a suspension shop in my town and the guy said he could get me a Rough Country 3" Stage II AAL installed for around $500.

You see, I am a poor high school student and I don't do any hardcore wheeling.

Do you think The AAL kit is as bad as most make them out to be?

The guy said he thinks it will be fine and he had a 6" AAL on his Chevy full-size and it was fine.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

It will be fine at first.....then it will Sag, I know plenty of people that have run them without a problem but every Rough Country AAL I have ever seen has also sagged within a year
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't wheel it much, or carry heavy loads in the back, they will last longer.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

i dont kno how bad it is but it kinds sounds like a bad idea if u really think about it .the added spring would have to be so stiff it would ride like crap. if u have a few wrenches and alittle time you can do a 3in lift ur self for less than that and u wouldnt have to use aal. i got zj springs and 2in spacers and did a s10 bastard pack and put bds shocks in the rear and monroes in the front and my total came up less than $250.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz
It will be fine at first.....then it will Sag, I know plenty of people that have run them without a problem but every Rough Country AAL I have ever seen has also sagged within a year
Within a year?! The guy at the shop said it shouldn't sag for a very, very long time.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thebrow89
i dont kno how bad it is but it kinds sounds like a bad idea if u really think about it .the added spring would have to be so stiff it would ride like crap. if u have a few wrenches and alittle time you can do a 3in lift ur self for less than that and u wouldnt have to use aal. i got zj springs and 2in spacers and did a s10 bastard pack and put bds shocks in the rear and monroes in the front and my total came up less than $250.
I have thought about the S10 bastard pack but I am mechanically challenged and I really think I'd screw it up bad.

Anyone near Chicago wanna help me? lol
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

honestly the bastard pack is not hard to do just make shure u take ur time and get everythign tight when ur done. if u decide u wanna do it and have anytrouble we are here to help i kno alot of guys on here have done them.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

honestly the bastard pack is not hard to do just make shure u take ur time and get everythign tight when ur done. if u decide u wanna do it and have anytrouble we are here to help i kno alot of guys on here have done them.
I'm scared that I will make one of the packs differently than the other and it will be lop-sided.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

lol i almost did that. figured out i did something was up when i found an uneven number of leaves layin in the pile. if i did it agian i would b sure to mark them and double check that they were rite
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01

they wont last as long as full leaf packs. i dont think i'd wanna do a 6" AAL though, sounds kinda like a bad idea haha. save money on labor, do it yourself in your garage/driveway, a lot of shops will charge you out the *** to install a lift
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

I've seen lots of instructions about installing lifts and such using jackstands etc.

This may sound stupid but if I had access to a lift would it make my life easier?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

How hard is it actually to install a lift?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01

it can be intimidating but once you start doing it it's not too bad, just read some write ups on installs, jason at jeepinoutfitters has some good ones on his site, or search on here. i did mine with jackstands in my garage with a couple friends. i dont know about using a lift, in a way i think i would almost prefer to do it with stands, that way things are easier to access like springs and leafs, that and you can get more leverage with stubborn bolts. but some people might disagree.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 AM

Im curious, is the s10 leafpack out of a regular s10 pickup from the early nineties a direct bolt in/3" lift on an xj? Just want some clarity as I hear everyone talking about it but have never known for sure. If that is the case, then, chief cherokee, you should be able to do it, since taking out and putting leaf packs in isn't too tedious. Basic tools, and new U-bolts and you're set.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Year: 97

ok what the hell is a bastartd pack lol, im looking to do a 3" lift on my 97 and dont want add a leafs, i had an old UJ i bought with them on there and it felt lik it didnt have and suspension it was so rough,, i took it right off lol

Quick Reply: Add-a-leaf as bad as made out to be?