Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC smells

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AC smells

Hello guys, 2000 XJ with 4.0 here. So recently my compressor pulley bearing seized on me, luckily I had a spare sitting in my garage. I swapped over the pulley/bearing assembly along with the clutch since they were burnt out. Fast forward a couple weeks and now my AC blows out cold air but it smells terrible, the best I could could come up with was a burnt wire smell. No smell is coming from under the hood, only blowing out smelly air. I think my compressor is starting to go out. I want to hear what you guys think, thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Did you change the electric part off the a/c clutch ? because when the pulley bearing goes bad it can fry that part . or your blower motor is going bad .
Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Did you change the electric part off the a/c clutch ? because when the pulley bearing goes bad it can fry that part . or your blower motor is going bad .
No it was all mechanical. I don't think it's even related because the clutch engages like it's supposed to, and there's no smell coming from the compressor itself but once you get inside the Jeep it smells like something died.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Is your jeep draining the water out of the a/c case ? or did it get plugged up . if the a/c case is holding water it will smell bad very fast . just find yhe a/c drain hose and hit it with a blast of air with shop air and it will start to drain again .
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Is your jeep draining the water out of the a/c case ? or did it get plugged up . if the a/c case is holding water it will smell bad very fast . just find yhe a/c drain hose and hit it with a blast of air with shop air and it will start to drain again .
Alright so I just went out to go test it. I poked around in there and got nothing. I had the heat going to see if the burnt smell would happen on the heat and it didn't. I had the AC on full blast and it just cut out, nothing. Now I can't get any air whether it's heat or AC blowing out so I'm pretty sure the blower motor just crapped out on me.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry to hear your blower went out but at least you know what the problem is .
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 PM

Bingo