Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC draw

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default AC draw

Over the years of owning the old jeep, I rarely ever used the ac. The more I drive it now, with my daughters in it, the more I use it. I've been noticing some massive draw on my battery when in use. The battery is new, the alternator is barely two years old. I've replaced the blower, in the last five years. Is it normal for the ac to draw so much? Maybe the compressor is going? Every once in a blue moon, the compressor does sound as if it has bad bearings, but not very often. I've only heard it screaming, maybe three times, in the last two years.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A.C. and Alternator

When an old compressor kicks in, it drags on the accessory belt and leaves a little slack on the alternator side of the belt. That has the effect of a little slippage on the alternator pulley and a loss in alternator output. Overcharging a good A.C. system will also drag on the compressor. Does your belt squeak when you first start the Jeep with the A.C. on? Also the engine control module tells the alternator to lower its output on hot days to avoid damaging the battery. There is a temperature sensor in the battery tray that is part of this loop. Is your belt tight enough?