Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC compressor shot, or???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AC compressor shot, or???

So, after replacing the serpentine belt, I have determined that it is my AC compressor that's making this infamously loud noise. The compressor pulley still turns, it still blows cold air, but it cycles about every 5-10 seconds (low on freon). When I turn the ac switch on, the squealing noise starts, off, it stops. It's not the new belt, or the tension. I checked everything and all the other pulleys turn smoothly, the belt runs well and no belt squeal, just the compressor when I turn it on.

Does this mean my compressor is shot? or can it be because its low on freon?

Like I said, it still works, blows cold air, but makes a loud squealing noise when i turn the ac switch on.

If it is the compressor that needs to be replaced, does everything need to be replaced along with it, like the hoses, and...?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by synergy58
So, after replacing the serpentine belt, I have determined that it is my AC compressor that's making this infamously loud noise. The compressor pulley still turns, it still blows cold air, but it cycles about every 5-10 seconds (low on freon). When I turn the ac switch on, the squealing noise starts, off, it stops. It's not the new belt, or the tension. I checked everything and all the other pulleys turn smoothly, the belt runs well and no belt squeal, just the compressor when I turn it on.

Does this mean my compressor is shot? or can it be because its low on freon?

Like I said, it still works, blows cold air, but makes a loud squealing noise when i turn the ac switch on.

If it is the compressor that needs to be replaced, does everything need to be replaced along with it, like the hoses, and...?

Thanks!
There is a bearing that can be replaced. You should have the system tested to make sure it doesn't leak. Then if it's good, you can change that bearing.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
There is a bearing that can be replaced. You should have the system tested to make sure it doesn't leak. Then if it's good, you can change that bearing.
Do I have to disconnect the lines to replace the bearing, have the system evacuated and all that?

You posted a link to the geeks parts store...I never knew about that, seams like a great source. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 AM

Do I have to disconnect the lines to replace the bearing, have the system evacuated and all that?

You posted a link to the geeks parts store...I never knew about that, seams like a great source. Thanks!
Ok, here's the deal as far as I've dealt with it... You would need to have the system evacuated. Nobody local seems to have reference for stock ac pulley bearing sizes. This company was listed by another guy as being able to get them.

http://www.purvisbearing.com/

The big challenge is not warping the pulley trying to get it off and the bearing out. If you search "ac pulley repair" on YouTube you get a couple of good ones from a dodge truck. I also looked up the complete assembly for a new compressor with the pulley attached. The parts aren't too bad to just replace the whole system yourself. Then have a shop test it and refill. Here is a post that deals with a similar issue:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/c-c...nt-help-97316/
Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM

Ok, here's the deal as far as I've dealt with it... You would need to have the system evacuated. Nobody local seems to have reference for stock ac pulley bearing sizes. This company was listed by another guy as being able to get them.

http://www.purvisbearing.com/

The big challenge is not warping the pulley trying to get it off and the bearing out. If you search "ac pulley repair" on YouTube you get a couple of good ones from a dodge truck. I also looked up the complete assembly for a new compressor with the pulley attached. The parts aren't too bad to just replace the whole system yourself. Then have a shop test it and refill. Here is a post that deals with a similar issue:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/c-c...nt-help-97316/
Cheddarnut,

Thanks for all this!

This is going to be challenging for me, to say the least. I could remove and replace the compressor, but the other things, not so sure. Then, trying to find a competent mechanic, let a lone a qualified AC tech around this place will be like hunting for something that doesn't exist.
I'll keep reading and studying this, maybe build up more confidence first!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Cheddarnut,

Thanks for all this!

This is going to be challenging for me, to say the least. I could remove and replace the compressor, but the other things, not so sure. Then, trying to find a competent mechanic, let a lone a qualified AC tech around this place will be like hunting for something that doesn't exist.
I'll keep reading and studying this, maybe build up more confidence first!
Well, if AC is not that important to you you could do an AC delete....but me personally, I love some AC on a hot day!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I gave you a rundown on your other thread - it is a 2-3 hour job at the most. I can typically change one out on 2 beers!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
I gave you a rundown on your other thread - it is a 2-3 hour job at the most. I can typically change one out on 2 beers!
I read that post, you are an AC beast!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I read that post, you are an AC beast!
More of a "bearing geek" - after changing out bearings that weigh in at 500 lbs or more, I look forward to these little ones!