Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC Compressor shooting fluid/air out the back

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default AC Compressor shooting fluid/air out the back

Ok, so I just recharged my system. Like I do every month or so. This time, when I started it was on the peg at 0psi. I put two small cans in and it only brought it up just about 30psi. 30-50psi is the green. So I splurged and got the next two cans with leak sealer in it ($18/can). I put them both in and it brought it up to about 47psi. I leave it running for a few min. Then when I get in to take a drive, I hear what sounds like a machine gun going off in the engine compartment. Sounded like a fan blade was hitting against something. Turns out it is the compressor shooting fluid and air out the back of it. What the heck?? The PSI was still in the green when I charged it. But it WAS the most I have ever put in it at one time over the past 10 years. I couldn't find my gauge so I bought a $20 can gauge for this recharging. Does the compressor do that when it is over pressured?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,065 Likes on 856 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

Capacity of the system on a 1999 is 20-ounces, and you dumped in four 12-ounce cans? It certainly sounds like you seriously overcharged it and blew out the seals on the high-side of the compressor. If you've been using the cans with oil, you probably have way too much oil in there as well and if the compressor sucks liquid, it'll grenade as well. Time for a new compressor, dryer, and any lines you may have blown.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
Time for a new compressor, dryer, and any lines you may have blown.
Yay!! Was going to take it into a shop to have them fix the system anyhow. Have needed to replace that compressor for about 10 years.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

man i wish i had your enthusiasm when stuff breaks lol
Old 07-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

This is why I cringe every time I read a DIY AC repair thread .
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
Capacity of the system on a 1999 is 20-ounces, and you dumped in four 12-ounce cans? It certainly sounds like you seriously overcharged it and blew out the seals on the high-side of the compressor. If you've been using the cans with oil, you probably have way too much oil in there as well and if the compressor sucks liquid, it'll grenade as well. Time for a new compressor, dryer, and any lines you may have blown.
10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag never ends well.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Yep. I wasn't about to attempt to fix the AC system myself. Was just gonna bandaide the issue by continuing to put r134a in it like I have for years. I will let the professional replace the system.

Actually today in 100+ heat index it is pumping cold air quite nicely for a 20 year old system.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mudshack
Yep. I wasn't about to attempt to fix the AC system myself. Was just gonna bandaide the issue by continuing to put r134a in it like I have for years. I will let the professional replace the system.

Actually today in 100+ heat index it is pumping cold air quite nicely for a 20 year old system.
So you're saying the A/C is functioning?

I had some leakage at the LP compressor fitting when I did the final charge last year (I had only charged the 2lbs/32oz listed on the under hood sticker)... I assumed this was because I had first connected it with a new o-ring and the old one was still in there, so I figured I probably roughed up the o-ring too much.. but it stopped leaking and the system ran properly (albeit noisily due to my old compressor) for almost a year until I had the system evac'd to swap out the compressor. However, in my case there was zero noise, only a hit on the cheapo sniffer.

I changed the compressor specifically because I felt it was worth the cost to do so in order to not be worrying about ruining the rest of the system when the compressor finally gave out.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
So you're saying the A/C is functioning?
Yep
Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yep
Maybe you just blew the excess refrigerant out and once the pressure fell to spec it closed up and is fine.

You'd be damn lucky if that's the case, but who knows. If the compressor blew up, it shouldn't/couldn't run I would think.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The compressor has a pressure relief valve that lets loose if system pressures climb too high. When that happens the symptom is exactly as reported, refrigerant spewing out the back of the compressor. As others have stated that is to be expected when putting 48 oz. of refrigerant into a system designed for 20 oz.! It sounds like you were using one of those cans that have a cheapo low-pressure gauge. A full gauge set would have alerted you to climbing pressures on the high side.

As long as nothing ruptured due to the excessive pressure there should have been no permanent damage done. However if you used leak sealer not only is that unlikely to work, it can further damage the AC system. It can also damage professional equipment in a shop which you would be held liable for, so if it's taken somewhere to be serviced they should be warned of the contaminated system.

Last edited by Rambler65; 07-20-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Turns out it is the compressor shooting fluid and air out the back of it. What the heck??
It was "slugging" (search "second worse thing you can do to an air conditioning compressor").

It sounds like this thing has been leaking like a sieve, and unless you've been adding PAG oil periodically, then the PAG oil level is probably dangerously low (search "worse thing you can do to an air conditioning compressor").

Did you add any extra PAG oil? It has to be the right one too (should be SP-20, it's on a sticker next to the radiator).

In spite of all this abuse, the compressor sounds like it's fine. Why do want to replace it?

You may want to investigate a bit to try to determine where the leak is. Usually an O-ring is bad (a buck) or a rock put a leak in the condenser. Because the leak is so big there may (should) be oil around the leak, or as Pat has alluded to, go down to HFT and get a refrigerant leak detector (don't forget the 20% coupon).

If it's the evaporator you got a big problem.

At any rate, if you have a good idea what the problem is you have a better chance of insuring you don't get taken to the cleaners by the HVAC guys, and if it's just a few O-rings it may be a job you might want to take on yourself.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Dave51
... it may be a job you might want to take on yourself.
And you can get loaner tools from AZ, like a vacuum pump. Don't look like they have gauges tho, but HFT has them for 55 bucks (minus 20%!).
Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
This is why I cringe every time I read a DIY AC repair thread .
lol...I've been doing my own for years but at least I did take some tech courses due to work requiring it but that was years back. I don't use the cheap topper off cans with the stop leak, oil and a cheap low pressure gauge. Luckily I kept all my tools only thing I don't have is a recovery system...but yea I know what you mean.

Last edited by country2; 07-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.