Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ABS and Hand Brake Light are one at the Same Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ABS and Hand Brake Light are one at the Same Time

I have a Jeep Cherokee, 2006 model with 27000 Km's on the clock, It has been regularly serviced my the official agents, and has recently had new brake pads installed all around .When you start the car, the Dash lights come on for the pre check, the turn off as normal. The ABS Light will some times stay on a little longer though but normally goes off. When you hit a bumpy stretch of road, both the ABS and Handbrake warning lights come on simultaneously. They will stay on until you turn the engine off. If you drive down the Road and apply brakes hard, you cannot feel the ABS Brakes in action and the Car will skid, at the same the both the ABS and Handbrake Like will come on, although the breaks feel fine and stop you. I need some advice on where to check where the problem could be coming from. It would be easier if only one light came on or only when you braked hard, but it happens over a bumpy road as well. Any ideas on where to start looking for this problem as I don’t trust the dealers
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said the pads were changed, I would take it back to where you got this work performed and have them check it over. They may have installed them incorrectly. You may be low on brake fluid.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Yes brake fluid check that too
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Thanks for takeing the time to read thie, I forgot to mention that I did check the brakefluid and that it was all good, could the problem be because when they installed the new pads they did not bleed the system properly and there is air in the system ,(can only be a small amount as the breaks feel fine) .
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jellyjeep
Thanks for takeing the time to read thie, I forgot to mention that I did check the brakefluid and that it was all good, could the problem be because when they installed the new pads they did not bleed the system properly and there is air in the system ,(can only be a small amount as the breaks feel fine) .
That is very possible. Because you had paid work performed, I would take it back to the shop and explain to them that after the pad change the problem started and they should fix it at no cost.

Last edited by UserID6095; 10-29-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Time to get the battle sticks out !! , lets see how it goes