Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

About to buy new springs OEM or OME...

Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default About to buy new springs OEM or OME...

I've been wanting to do something with our XJ since the fall, and just now getting around to it. It handled "ok" over the winter, but nothing stellar. I know the tires on it are not suited for our needs, and I know the rear springs need replaced. I just can't decided which I want to do. So, this is mostly asking opinions...

I'm really thinking about just going with stock height heavy or medium duty replacement springs from Quadratec, but I'm very worried about them sagging too. I can't seem to find much info on this. If I do the stock height springs I'll go with some 235/75/15 AT's. However, I'm also considering OME 2" lift springs and 31x10.5x15's with 2" coil spacers up front. But again, I'm worried about sagging. I prefer just a little higher in the back when unloaded. Does the OME 2" lift really give that much lift? or does it just seem that way, because factory springs sag so much over time.
I've never heard anything good about Mopar replacement springs from the dealer, and either way I just called, and they're not cheap, so doesn't seem like an option...

I also keep seeing that the stock height is 17" from center of rear hub to fender flare bottom. Is that what the original height was, or is that where most sagging rears are. I need to measure ours tonight. I guess I just don't know what to expect... or how far ours has dropped. I know stock height replacements are going to lift it, but how much?

Ground clearance and height are not a problem like it sits. Traction and handling are though.

thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Well, I've decided to try my luck on the heavy duty stock height springs from Quadratec. I figure if they sag in the near future I can always add blocks or shackles, but at least I'll be rid of the rusty inverted springs we have now.

Probably going to go with Kumho Road Ventures in 235/75/60...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

DONT buy from a Jeep Dealer, they are only going to rape you. you can get OEM HD springs for less than $100 per side at places like Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts. OME will ride better but the will cost a little more. Both will get you 1-2" of lift. The 17" number is for stock height NEW, here is another method to measure, http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/tech/tech.html.

For the 31" tire you will want 1-2" of lift. But to improve the handling what you need is GOOD shocks go with Bilstine or OME for the best ride.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by closer9
Well, I've decided to try my luck on the heavy duty stock height springs from Quadratec. I figure if they sag in the near future I can always add blocks or shackles, but at least I'll be rid of the rusty inverted springs we have now.

Probably going to go with Kumho Road Ventures in 235/75/60...
Blocks are bad news on XJs, the springs, just cant handle them, even most aftermarket. Use a shackle or Long AAL or Bastard Pack if you want a little more lift.

235/75 will work fine, With the Road Venture, I know you don't plan on much if any Off-Roading. So you shouldn't have any rubbing issues even with a 31" tire.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

my friends have had very good luck with the HD leafs from qtec.

my friend's dad has had them for almost 4 years and that XJ is constantly loaded heavy or towing a small trailer. still has 1.5" over stock.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Yes, I'm planning on the stock height HD springs from Quadratec. Glad to hear good things about them. I just talked to my tire place of preference, and I think I'm going to go with General Grabber 2's. I have talked to several people that really like them. I'll just do those in 235/75's and the HD springs. I'll probably need to do rear sway bar bushings while I'm under. Fix a few small engine leaks, and the Jeep ought to be good for many more miles...

thanks guys...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Just thought I'd update a little. I ended up buying the Crown HD stock height springs from a local 4WD shop. With springs and bushings it was about $40 cheaper than Quadratec. They came in Saturday, but I've been too busy to get by the shop to pick them up. I also ordered window visors and a bug guard while I was there.

I also had 235/75/15 Grabber AT 2's put on about 2 weeks ago. LOVE THEM.

Gonna replace rear sway bar bushings and end links while I'm under there. Once the springs are on, I plan to paint the black plastic trim, fix the sticky door locks, and swap out the Pioneer with the Kenwood from the wife's old Civic. Then I'll tackle the little oil leak... and try to find a set of floor mats. Kinda thinking about the Husky rubber ones.

My wife's birthday is coming up. I'm trying to get all this done for her by then. Except the visor, bug guard and floor mats. She doesn't know about them. Might even pick up a bluetooth for the Kenwood...

I've been able to drive the Jeep a couple times with the new tires, and they're night and day compared to the old Kumho street tires. Don't need 4WD down behind the house in the rain, and no more slipping pulling out of our drive. I picked up an older Dodge 4WD with a 3" lift, and will be adding a 3" body lift this weekend possibly (it did okay when I got it, but I swapped the Discoverers for BFG TA KO's and they rub pretty bad). So, I probably won't be driving the Jeep too much... Gotta make it good for the wifey and little girl.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

Good to hear your opinion on the General AT2's, I'm planning on buying a set of those myself as soon as possible.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM

I was about to buy the Kumho Road Ventures, but talked to a couple local guys with the AT2's who really liked them, and the guy at the shop said he ran them on his truck, and really liked them. Plus, when I got to the shop I pulled up next a newer Chevy that just had a set put on.

Haven't had them on anything worse than wet grass yet, but they handle great so far, and are smooth and quiet on the highway...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Figured it was time for another update...

Got the springs installed last weekend (wait this is Monday. weekend before last...) It all went smoother than I thought it would. I put on the Crown heavy duty stock height springs with new rubber eye bushings, poly shackle bushings and Moog sway bar bushings and end links. I also replaced all the hardware back there. I started spraying the bolts with WD40 about once a week or so back in May. The only bolt I broke was the little endlink bushing bolt. I was rather surprised how clean and rust free the bolts and frame were, considering how rusty the old springs were.

Sits a little higher now, but rides much better. Actually feels like it has a suspension when you hit a bump, no where near as much body roll. I've yet to hook the trailer up, and see how it sits/rides though...

Next is paint the flares/trim/bumpers (Krylon Fusion for the plastic, bedliner for the metal), and fix or replace the sticky usually non-functional door locks.

Here it is shortly after we got it...

Here it is with new tires, but before the new springs...

and here it is now... new vent visors, bug shield and foglights too...

Last edited by closer9; 07-12-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

thanks for sharing pics & keeping us up to date. i have a quick ? for you. did you also replace your rear shocks with Heavy Duty ones to go w/ your newly installed Crown HD Leafs?

Last edited by jiffy; 07-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by closer9
Figured it was time for another update...

Got the springs installed last weekend (wait this is Monday. weekend before last...) It all went smoother than I thought it would. I put on the Crown heavy duty stock height springs with new rubber eye bushings, poly shackle bushings and Moog sway bar bushings and end links. I also replaced all the hardware back there. I started spraying the bolts with WD40 about once a week or so back in May. The only bolt I broke was the little endlink bushing bolt. I was rather surprised how clean and rust free the bolts and frame were, considering how rusty the old springs were.

Sits a little higher now, but rides much better. Actually feels like it has a suspension when you hit a bump, no where near as much body roll. I've yet to hook the trailer up, and see how it sits/rides though...

Next is paint the flares/trim/bumpers (Krylon Fusion for the plastic, bedliner for the metal), and fix or replace the sticky usually non-functional door locks.

Here it is shortly after we got it...

Here it is with new tires, but before the new springs...

and here it is now... new vent visors, bug shield and foglights too...

I know i'm resurecting an old post here, but i'm really glad you posted this. I have the exact same situation (same color XJ too). i need want to replace the saggy leafs with HD stock height ones, Grabber AT2's and paint the bumper. seeing this is like looking into the future for me!

Awesome rig!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM

Thanks, glad I could help. Never replace the shocks. Did that as soon as I bought the XJ. Right after the spring install I loaded up a complete 318LA with engine stand and drove 250 miles. Handled great. Pulls a trailer great.

Still need to paint bumpers and flares, but replaced valve cover gasket and lock actuators... And a few other things. Wife still loves it.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Since this thread is back...

I am also looking for new rear spring pack for my XJ. Quadratec has the stock, medium, and heavy duty sets. Does anyone know what they translate into as far as lift height over stock?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by ninemmbill
Since this thread is back...

I am also looking for new rear spring pack for my XJ. Quadratec has the stock, medium, and heavy duty sets. Does anyone know what they translate into as far as lift height over stock?
I am pretty sure if you have the catalog it tells you how much the arch is. But I can be wrong. And i'm sure thT number won't be the same once you put them under load. If I had my catalog I could read them off to you. But I'm not on the toilet... That's where I do all the engineering ideas for my Cherokee...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to buy new springs OEM or OME...