Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ Sport Won't Start When Weather is Hot

Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 XJ Sport Won't Start When Weather is Hot

Hey y'all,
as the title implies, my jeep doesn't start when it gets too hot outside. I turn the key and I get a nothing. I am able to start it by jumping the starter relay however, which makes me think that the heat is draining the voltage somewhere in the starter circuit? Electrical problems are out of my area of experience, before I tear up my dashboard and start replacing things, has anyone else here had this problem? Is there somewhere i should start?

oh, and here are some more info about her:
99 XJ sport
4.0 w/ 145k
Auto trans
Optima red top less than 6 months old
starter less than 6 months old
I have not replaced the battery cables yet, would that be the problem?
Also, my oil pressure gauge gets wonky when it's really hot out too. It hasn't worked since I've owned the jeep, but now it drops to zero and my check gauges light comes on.

Thank you very much for your help, y'all. I would like to get this figured out, I've already missed out on wheelin trips due to this problem and I want to get back out to the trails
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Battery cables/clamps, clean the ground terminals especially the ground connected to the engine would be the first things i'd check. But check all grounds.

A battery is only as good as its cables/clamps and good all around grounding connections.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Moparado, I used up all my wrenching time today on my wife's car, but I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes

Last edited by TXNewGuy; 08-13-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typo