Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 cracked aftermarket manifold, weld or buy an new better one

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 cracked aftermarket manifold, weld or buy an new better one

hey all i know the manifold threads have been about beaten to death, but i have two questions that i do not come across on these.

as the title says mine has a crack in it, a big friggen crack, and this is an aftermarket manifold that has the accordion looking dealies.

so

197000:

is it better to weld this one closed or is this a poor choice to fix something correctly? a new header isnt cheap, but i also dont want to go through the hell of getting it on and off just to have this happen again.

if i buy a new (good reliable) header do they all match up to the stock down pipe location/position?

while im thinking of it does anyone recommend adding exhaust wrap after one of the other two options?

thank you for the wisdom

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 10-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

1. If you weld it, it will break again. Nature of the beast on pre 2000 header. Just too long to take all the expansion and contraction.

2. If you get one for the proper year, yes it will match.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If it were me, I'd just buy another one. Welding it seems like a bandaid that won't stay on long.

But I would also check the motor mounts, or better yet just go ahead and replace them. One of the most common causes of cracked headers is the motor mounts allowing the motor to move around too much, putting stress on the exhaust and cracking the header. It would be silly to put a new header on it only to have to replace it again several months later because you didn't address the root cause of the problem.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah wore out motor mounts is the cause a lot of times,And either get a oem replacement or buy a banks or big name replace skip the cheapos.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Yeah wore out motor mounts is the cause a lot of times,And either get a oem replacement or buy a banks or big name replace skip the cheapos.
Had my ATP off twice to re-weld in the year since installation. Probably too tight an exhaust system. New motor mounts. So that is unlikely the problem. Also, this header was poorly welded at the factory. One of the beads just "blew off".

If I were to do it again I would weld a couple of braces across the tubes to unstress the collector welds.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

i had a friend weld a crack in the factory manifold on my 97 about 50k miles ago. no issues since.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If it were me, I'd just buy another one. Welding it seems like a bandaid that won't stay on long.

But I would also check the motor mounts, or better yet just go ahead and replace them. One of the most common causes of cracked headers is the motor mounts allowing the motor to move around too much, putting stress on the exhaust and cracking the header. It would be silly to put a new header on it only to have to replace it again several months later because you didn't address the root cause of the problem.

mounts are brown dogs, rubber
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
mounts are brown dogs, rubber
Can't do much better than that.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Brown Dog!!! I got the polyurethane ones and LOVED them! They are my next upgrade for my Jeep...
ok back on topic... If you have someone to weld for free or cheap, might be ok. It's not an ideal repair, hands down best option is get a new one with the accordian stress points. Might get lucky, check some junk yards... Found one for my last Jeep in a junk yard