Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 cherokee Sport Rear shocks / Broken Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 cherokee Sport Rear shocks / Broken Bolts

Hello All,

99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0, 4x4

Just got my new 3" lift kit from Rough Country, Was gonna get started on the rear, And the first bolt I went to turn on the top portion of the shock went "SNAP"and broke off as I am sure the rest are more then likly gonna do the same..

Question is
Whats the best way to get the rest of the bolt outta there.. Left Handed Drill Bit? I am thinking it will come right out now that it has Snapped. Is this Correct??? Just sprayed PB Blaster on there, Gonna wait and let it sit a while

Thanks for any info..

Ant...

Last edited by Ant.; 04-08-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you look around in this section you will find a FAQ on how to remove them. I used a punch on my air chisel and blew the broken bolt and captured weld nut out the top and fished new bolts down from the top.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo,
I had that same problem when I re-upped my rear shocks
firstly, take heart in the fact that front shocks will be way easier
then put on your patience hat, and you can try what I did (which worked out great)

if you snapped that bolt off right level with the welded nut, grab punch get mad and hit that little larry right out of there
get you some appropriate size lock nuts (the ones with the little teeth on one side)
something sticky (I used silver gasket goop) and a box end wrench

there's a spot where you can reach into the frame right near where you broke that bolt
goop the lock nut very lightly into the boxend wrench
slide it into that hole, and there you have it

it's a real hillbilly fix, but my shocks are right where I put em 3 years ago (they're pretty sweet airshocks) and getting a wrench in there with the nut gooped into it was a lot easier than trying to fish a bolt through... or cutting a hole in the back floor of the wagon

make sure when you punch those welded nuts out that you punch them dead straight to the direction of the bolt, since you want the welds to give instead of the nut or the frame... the little teeth on your lock nut will grab that busted weld to get you started
tighten everything a little too much to really mate the locking teeth to the weld

you don't have to do it this way... but I did (in the pouring rain no less), and it worked out fine
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM

oh yeah ,
you could also try tightening the bolts slightly before you try to remove them...

that might prevent the whole fiasco
Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...x4/#post581673

See this
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Ok, I will take care of the shock bolts, Not a problem,

Now the rear leaf bolt broke as well.. I am gonna cut off the leafs and then try to deal with the bolts.. I read some of what I found here on the forum and I am thinking that the sleeve has seized to the bolt, Hopefully after I cut the leafs off I will be able to get to the one I alreadt broke..

What a Pain in the ***

Ant...
Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Cruechief
This method worked GREAT for me. I used an air hammer to pop the weld nuts outs.

For the leaf bolts, if you broke the bolt off in the weld nut that sucks a big one but still fixable. Requires cutting hole in the pocket on the frame that containts the weld nut, popping the weld nut off and sticking a new one in through the hole you cut in the pocket.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 PM

As an amateur JEEP owner, I appreciate those who take the time to provide helpful feedback and links. One thing that veteran's often fail to remember is that when questions like this are asked, there's a good chance that it will pop up in a search thread for someone else asking the same question. Telling people to do a search really isn't very helpful or friendly.

Won't be long before I try the same task so there was a lot of helpful information provided, thanks to those who did so.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Year: 1998

After I encountered this problem, I switched the rear top shock mounts to bar pin eliminators. This way the next time I have to switch the rear shocks it should be far less time consuming, plus I hate pressing in bar pins....just a thought
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'Hubb's
This method worked GREAT for me. I used an air hammer to pop the weld nuts outs.

For the leaf bolts, if you broke the bolt off in the weld nut that sucks a big one but still fixable. Requires cutting hole in the pocket on the frame that containts the weld nut, popping the weld nut off and sticking a new one in through the hole you cut in the pocket.
If worse comes to worse I will have to cut a pocket like you say, But I would rather not have to do it that way ( don't realy want to cut the frame)..
I am hoping there is still enough bolt there to grab with vise grips or something once I cut the old spring out.. But if I have to cut the frame I will have it welded back so it will still be solid...

Any other ideas people???

Ant...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Hello All,

Just want to give an update and say thanks to all of you that have suggested things to help me out here..

I had to remove the tow hitch as my jeep has a tow package,
It had to be removed for clearance of the rear bolts on the leaf springs.. All the bolts came out ok from the tow hitch, The rear leaf spring bolts came out without snapping so that is a good thing.. I have enough broken bolts to deal with..

that is all I am going to do today.. This turned out to be a bigger project then I was wishing for, but after it is all done I am sure it will be well worth it...

I will update as I go..
I am just trying to get it all ready to come out in the rear as I am off on Saturday and hoping to finish the rear then..
After the rear is done I will do the front, Front should be a breeze ( I Hope)..

Thanks all,
Ant...

Name:  Hitch1_zps8eeb4a09.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  Hitch2_zps2a79713a.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  Hitch3_zpse23858d1.jpg
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  Hitch4_zpsed0439c6.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  hitch5_zps335516ad.jpg
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  Hitch6_zps55255d17.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  75.9 KB

Last edited by Ant.; 04-10-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Banned

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by Ant.
This turned out to be a bigger project then I was wishing for,
EVERY single project will be a bigger project than you are led to believe on the internet.

To remove busted shock bolts, most people here will suggest you just use your air compressor & air chisel.
"Easy Peasy." In the midwest, 5 year olds do this stuff daily.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Hello All,

Just an update,

Well it is Friday and I got the right rear side bout done, Will finish it tomorrow, The bolts I got for the top of the shocks are to big 3/8, They do not fit threw the top of the shock so tomorrow I will get the right bolts and finish this side...

I will start dealing with the big broken bolt tomorrow, Think I am gonna drill it out instead of cutting the frame, If for some reason I screw it up or cant drill it out then I will cut a pocket in the frame and have it welded back.....

There was alot of rust up where the shocks go so I ground it all down with a wire wheel and primed and painted it, Heres a few pics...

Ant...

Heres the old shock and spring, The shock was shot..

Name:  Spring1_zps96a07fa8.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  212.1 KB

Picture below shows where I cut the leaf spring, Will deal with bolt tomorrow, the Sleeve was stuck to the bolt and would have messed up where the spring sits.. Couldnt take bolt out anymore without destroying the through bolt section, Will cut it out in the morning..

Name:  Spring2_zpsa269f02a.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  66.1 KB

Picture below is with leaf spring removed

Name:  Spring3_zps657a32b6.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  87.5 KB

Picture below still has one weld nut in where the top of the shocks go..

Name:  Spring4_zps565bb760.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  70.8 KB

The picture below is after I knocked out the weld nuts, Came out real e-z, Used an Air Hammer

Name:  Spring5_zps55091c62.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  109.3 KB

Came out pretty Good, Theres a lot of glare in phot, Looks nice in person...

Name:  spring6_zpse89d38b8.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  74.8 KB

Last edited by Ant.; 04-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

Coming along! Good work.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'Hubb's
Coming along! Good work.
Thanks man, Thought it would take 6-7 hours to do this job on my back, but it has been all of that and maybe a little more, Front should be a cake walk.. Jeep should ride nice when done..HEHE...Cant wait, But I am trying to take my time here, Never installed a lift kit before..

Ant...

Quick Reply: 99 cherokee Sport Rear shocks / Broken Bolts