Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Cherokee, Cranks but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 Cherokee, Cranks but no spark

Hello everyone!
I have been a constant viewer of these posts for a long time but for once I am stuck on what to do next so I would figure I would ask all you experts! I have a 1999 Cherokee 4x4 that just won't start. It had 265k on the motor and was running poorly so I decided to do an engine swap.

I took my time with it and I am pretty certain the timing is correct. I aligned TDC, sprocket marks lined up, cover is at 0deg and the distributer slid right in. The thing just won't start.

I cranked the engine and got code P0340 for camshaft not sending signal to pcm but am confused if I am testing this right? Or looking for any other suggestions you guys might have.

Basically, I thought the cam should test pretty much like the crankshaft sensor. It has 3 wires. 1 ground (BK/Y), 1 5V Power (orange) and the 1 pcm return sensor (TN/Y). I am getting 5v for both the 5v wire and the sensor pcm return wire. No change while cranking. I don't think this is right but I am not sure?

The crank shaft is testing 1 ground (BK/Y), 1 5V Power (orange) and the 1 pcm return sensor (GY/BK) that is 0v key off and fluctuates around 9v when cranking. Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

You need to make sure the cam position sensor is lined up correctly when you drop the distributor in. It can be tricky. There are several holes in the top plate and you need to lock that plate in place with putting the distributor in. Some searching will get you the right info. I used a small screwdriver to lock the plate in place. The attached image will get you going in the right direction. Line up the correct hole with the hole in the distributor to lock it in place while inserting.
Make sure the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke. I typically use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump a little bit since the distributor rotates on the way down. I had to fiddle with it a little bit to get it seat smoothly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Thank you for the information! I can definitely try to reset the dist but I should have mentioned that I actually got a new distributor with the engine. It had the plastic pin in it when I slid it in and lined up. The rotor is pointing just before number one. I marked it on the outside of the dist with a marker.

Are both sides of the camshaft sensor wire supposed to be pushing 5v? I can't seem to find how to test that.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Much easier when you put a new one in that has the pin in place! You should be good as far s the alignment goes. I got caught one time when I had put the distributor in at TDC on intake stroke instead of compression. OnceI had TDC at compression and reinstalled the distributor, it fired right up.
I am not sure about the voltage outputs so can't help you there.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Update:
I got a new CKP and tried cranking and am now getting no codes, so I suppose that was faulty and probably causing the P0340 code before. So I guess the electrical is fine. I also found a good computer to swap with and still no codes there after cranking for 10 seconds. So I am not sure where to go with this now. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!