Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 4.0 No Start, No CEL, Weird Guages

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 99 4.0 No Start, No CEL, Weird Guages

Good afternoon, cf.

Basically my 99 xj wont turn over. It cranks like normal, has full power (interior lights, radio, etc all work), and no cel (well, once it came on for about three seconds after I tried to start the jeep for about five seconds). Refuses to turn over.

A couple things I noticed right off the bat:
1. Fuel pump did not come on. Usually I have to prime the pump a couple times beforeI start the Jeep, else it takes 3-4 seconds to turn over. Usually I can hear it (over the beeping and before the radio cuts on), not now.

2. The battery and gas guages are both not moving when the key is in the on position. Oil pressure guage moves slighty, like it normally does when xj has been sitting overnight. This is what is really throwing me off.

3. Battery and alternator are both under three months old. Battery, alt, and starter were all checked and passed two and a half weeks ago.

4. No check engine light. Check guages comes on briefly when key is in on position, but goes away after a few seconds.

My research has led me to believe it is either the cps, fuel filter, or pump. To be honest, though, it's more than possible I am way off, but cps is a really common problem with similar symptoms, from what I've read. Fuel pump is just conjecture on my part and i would really really like to be wrong (200+ for the part). Filter is another semi logical explanation, but only based on my not getting any gas. AZ says i have to
replace the whole assembly (?? Really??) To replace the filter, $85 and change.

I just moved to ct a month and a half ago, and money is super tight right now from the move. I wish I could just throw parts at it but that just isnt an option. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me in figuring this out.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Forgot a few things...

Rough idle after startup, almost like i have a misfire but not quite that bad. Smooths out after driving for a few moments. Course now there is no startup at all so

Never dies or bogs down or anything while driving. Honestly it usually runs like a champ after warming up.

Runs slightly hot (like right above 210) when in traffic, but not on the highway. Will read 220 at startuo if the jeep was ran for a while, drops to 210 or bellow within ten seconds or so.

Most or all of this could be irrelevent, but I figure the more info the better.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

You didn't mention it but I am assuming you checked all the big fuses up in the engine compartment? My XJ had the same symptoms last weekend and it turned out I had blown the big fuse for the ignition system. I was thinking CPS myself but it turned out to be much simpler
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by GreyDog
Good afternoon, cf.

Basically my 99 xj wont turn over. It cranks like normal, has full power (interior lights, radio, etc all work), and no cel (well, once it came on for about three seconds after I tried to start the jeep for about five seconds). Refuses to turn over.

A couple things I noticed right off the bat:
1. Fuel pump did not come on. Usually I have to prime the pump a couple times beforeI start the Jeep, else it takes 3-4 seconds to turn over. Usually I can hear it (over the beeping and before the radio cuts on), not now.

2. The battery and gas guages are both not moving when the key is in the on position. Oil pressure guage moves slighty, like it normally does when xj has been sitting overnight. This is what is really throwing me off.

3. Battery and alternator are both under three months old. Battery, alt, and starter were all checked and passed two and a half weeks ago.

4. No check engine light. Check guages comes on briefly when key is in on position, but goes away after a few seconds.

My research has led me to believe it is either the cps, fuel filter, or pump. To be honest, though, it's more than possible I am way off, but cps is a really common problem with similar symptoms, from what I've read. Fuel pump is just conjecture on my part and i would really really like to be wrong (200+ for the part). Filter is another semi logical explanation, but only based on my not getting any gas. AZ says i have to
replace the whole assembly (?? Really??) To replace the filter, $85 and change.

I just moved to ct a month and a half ago, and money is super tight right now from the move. I wish I could just throw parts at it but that just isnt an option. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me in figuring this out.
Cranks like normal refuses to turn over ? Contradiction in terms?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM

What I meant by cranks like normal is it isnt slow or under powered as it was when my battery went bad. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM

I checked the fuses but I'll check them again. It was like five thirty in the morning when this all went down so its possible I was just dumb and missed it.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

so it turns over but wont start .
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Get some starting fluid spray a little in tube going to throttle body see if it starts if so sounds like fuelbpump issue seeing how youve been hearing it over all other noises .
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes, I dunno I always thought turn over meant the engine catching and starting, but I guess I was mistaken. I'm pretty new to this if you havent already figured that out lol
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreyDog
Yes, I dunno I always thought turn over meant the engine catching and starting, but I guess I was mistaken. I'm pretty new to this if you havent already figured that out lol
Either or now were on the same page.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM

I'll give that a shot, also recheck my fuses and report back. Its a fair hike to AZ, so is there anything else i should just go ahead and grab while Im there getting starting fluid?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

got any gas around from lawn mower maybe pour a little down throttle body try and start also need to check for spark
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

For a 99 XJ, I would approach a no start this way.

1. Check all fuses. Don't forget about the critical fuses in the power distribution center (the black box) under the hood!

2. Listen for the fuel pump. Turn the key to the ON position (not start). The fuel pump should energize and run for approximately 2 seconds by design. If you don't hear that, you need to address the fuel pump circuitry.

3. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine (weak spark is usually related to the ignition coil).

4. IF spark is good (and ONLY if), then introduce a small amount of gas or starting fluid into the intake. If the engine starts and runs with this technique, you have identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

The above 4 very simple steps go a long, long ways in isolating "root cause" of your no start.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 10-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Good morning, CF

had the xj towed to a safe and work friendly driveway last night, with internet access. I rechecked the fuses and they are fine but the relays for the starter, asd, and ignition are scarred with carbon. I have no idea how to really tell if relays are bad, its not like looking at the clear fuses which are apparent one way or the other.

Can anyone give me a reliable way to test the relays? or is the discoloration a good indicator that they have gone bad.

If they are bad, is it an indication of a more serious problem that all three went at the same time?

And... what is an 'ASD'?

Thanks for all the help so far, and for the patience. I'm trying to work my way down the four instructions I was given above, but Im stuck on number one
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

sorry to say that but i think its PCM (try remove the pin and put them back)

Quick Reply: 99 4.0 No Start, No CEL, Weird Guages