Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ transmission leak between extension housing and transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 / Banks header
Default 98 XJ ATF leak between extension housing and transmission

I have a 98 XJ with the AW4 and NP231.
It appears to be leaking between the transmission and extension housing, about halfway up the sides. What I need to know: Is there supposed to be fluid in the extension housing, or is there a seal on the transmission side of the output shaft to prevent this?

Thanks!

Last edited by AJEI; 05-26-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Oops, wrong title.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AJEI
I have a 98 XJ with the AW4 and NP231.
It appears to be leaking between the transmission and extension housing, about halfway up the sides. What I need to know: Is there supposed to be fluid in the extension housing, or is there a seal on the transmission side of the output shaft to prevent this?

Thanks!
There's a seal in the housing for the transmission output shaft, and a seal around the TC input shaft.

If one or both of these seals leak the fluid will come out of a weep hole in the bottom of the housing. You can't see the weep hole without dropping the crossmember and removing the trans mount and the exhaust isolator plate.

Odd that it would be coming from about halfway up the sides. Try cleaning everything off real good with brake cleaner and recheck the source of the leak.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 / Banks header

Originally Posted by CCKen
There's a seal in the housing for the transmission output shaft, and a seal around the TC input shaft.

If one or both of these seals leak the fluid will come out of a weep hole in the bottom of the housing. You can't see the weep hole without dropping the crossmember and removing the trans mount and the exhaust isolator plate.

Odd that it would be coming from about halfway up the sides. Try cleaning everything off real good with brake cleaner and recheck the source of the leak.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. My actual leak is between the transmission and the extension housing, not the transfer case. I tried to change the title of my post but it wouldn't change the way it appeared in the forum. sorry for the confusion.

I have gone through the process of cleaning everything and re checking a few times now, with the same results.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:16 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

CCKen, were you able to find that gasket that goes behind extension housing? I can't find it anywhere.