Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ with MAJOR steering/suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ with MAJOR steering/suspension problem

I've been driving my 98 cherokee around for a while, and this problem has been getting progressivly worse. Heres some quick background on the truck, its a 98 with 188k, a crap 3" lift with stock control arms and sway bar end links. The truck rocks back and forth and wanders on the highway for no reason. I figured the shocks were blown, so I got a new set of pro comp's from summit. Problem was better, but not solved. 3 weeks later, its back. I hit a bump on the highway, and the rear end would not settle down, and the truck was rocking back and forth. I jacked the front end up and found hub bearings with .75 inchs of play (yikes) so i replaced those. Problem still existed. Checked out balljoints and tie rod ends, and found no visual play in them. Im stumped, and about to just order a new lift with real leaf springs, a rustys tie rod end kit, a new trac bar, and re-do the balljoints to see if I can eliminate the problem anywhere in there. Im wondering if anybody has any ideas what could be the problem, before I drop $1000. I've been told twice its ball joints, and that i wont tell they're loose till i take it apart.

Any help guys?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

You didn't say if you check the trac bar, I would start start there. How or your tires and alignment?

Is it your rear end wobbling or the front? If it is, then back tighten every thing.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ohioxj98
I've been driving my 98 cherokee around for a while, and this problem has been getting progressivly worse. Heres some quick background on the truck, its a 98 with 188k, a crap 3" lift with stock control arms and sway bar end links. The truck rocks back and forth and wanders on the highway for no reason. I figured the shocks were blown, so I got a new set of pro comp's from summit. Problem was better, but not solved. 3 weeks later, its back. I hit a bump on the highway, and the rear end would not settle down, and the truck was rocking back and forth. I jacked the front end up and found hub bearings with .75 inchs of play (yikes) so i replaced those. Problem still existed. Checked out balljoints and tie rod ends, and found no visual play in them. Im stumped, and about to just order a new lift with real leaf springs, a rustys tie rod end kit, a new trac bar, and re-do the balljoints to see if I can eliminate the problem anywhere in there. Im wondering if anybody has any ideas what could be the problem, before I drop $1000. I've been told twice its ball joints, and that i wont tell they're loose till i take it apart.

Any help guys?
My guess is that the caster is all jacked up in your front end after the 3" lift. That'll give you the highway death wabble. When lifted, in order to line the driveshaft, the entire front axle has to be turned forward...that messes up your caster alignment making your vehicle want to turn easier, but not wanting to track straight. In order to correct it you have to reweld the axle tubes with the correct caster degree...or drop it back down to stock.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Diving back and forth is a classic symptom of being towed out. How does the tires look? Is your sway bar hooked up? If not, hook it up. Is your steering box adjusted properly? If not, tighten it up. And also when you get an alignment check your castor. It changes when using budget lift kits and can contribute to this problem.