98 xj extended crank, rough idle, misfire - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 xj extended crank, rough idle, misfire

Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 98 xj extended crank, rough idle, misfire

So my jeep after driving and reaching full temperature, if i let it sit for 20 minutes off, when i go to start it it will crank forever and not start and then when i try again it will start right away. It only happens when its hot, first start of the say it starts perfectly and runs fine. Sometimes not everytime when i get it started after the extended crank it will misfire really bad and it will feel like an earthquake in my car and it will sound like a lawn mower. Sometimes it wven stalls out completely. And just recently my engine and exhaust shakes like crazy and when im in park or at a red light or something, my car will shake. All these problems only happen when hot. I have replaced my fuel pump, tps sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, spark plugs, cleaned my injectors, cleaned my throttle body, i also used lucas injector cleaner many times. I saw that it may be hear soak, but i took off the fuel rail and injectors and insulated them with thermal insulator and it still does this. I have put so much money into trying to fix this problem, and my next step will be to change the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires and coil. Anyone else have this problem?