Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Dash noises {Help}

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:40 AM
obo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ Dash noises {Help}

Help I have a 98 XJ jeep cherokee 4L Limited and am getting a grinding or maybe air going through a pipe noise behind the dash in different spots when I get to about 55mph and gets worst the faster I go. My air con seems ok the heat and cold seems to work and I can change the air flow to where I wont to the floor or to my face. I have just replaced the motor in it but only just got it so I don't know if it did it before or not. Thanks anyone in advances for your help
Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

You sure the noise is not coming from outside? If you open the windows can you hear it?

What happens if you rev up the engine in park and neutral?

The fact that it gets worse the faster you go would mean drive train like bearings, u joints, or something else that spins faster with engine and movement.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 AM
obo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash noises soved

it was the windshield leaking air through the seal. Put some sealant around it and now is all good thanks every one who responded
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Great. Glad you got it figure out.

If I was you, I would be planning on replacing the windshield sometime in the near future. Because if the urethane that bonds the windshield to the Jeep opened up in one place, it will probably open up someplace else, letting water in and rusting things out.