Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ, A/C looks jacked.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ, A/C looks jacked.

Hello all, haven't been here in a few years. Had a '99 in high school, wrecked it, drove a POS '95 Toyota Camry for a couple years, and just bought a 98 limited with 135k for $2700. She needs some love.

The reason I came here is because I'm going to replace the A/C compressor, it definitely has it's own set of issues. Looks as if it leaked, then it shut itself down because it was low on refrigerant. Lots only knows when that happened though. I refilled it, thinking I could get it to last me, but the clutch looks like it's shot. It wobbles unevenly when looking from the top down, and I'm pretty sure I can smell the bearing inside grinding away. It's a 17 year old vehicle, so I'm not feeling up to the BS of replacing the clutch assembly and then it not working correctly.

If I replace the compressor, what is the low-down on what I'm going to need & what I should know? I've got an alldata DIY account so I'll make the most of it, assuming it's got what I need.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You'll need a compressor and oil to put in it, the seals should come with it. Put the system under a vacuum to pull moisture out and make sure it holds a vacuum. Then charge with the correct amount of R134a.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You'll also need a Liquid Line and an Accumulator.

Tools to disassemble the tubes connectors.

The Evaporator and Condenser should be flushed (O'reilly has the flush stuff - two cans).

You drain the shipping fluid out of the new compressor and add 4 ounces of PAG 100 lube to it. The other 4 ounces will be poured into the accumulator.

New O-rings on all the tubes and fittings. Oil the O-rings before assembly.

Take the Heep to an AC shop and have them service the system properly ($100+). Hopefully when they vacuum the system down before charging the system it doesn't leak. The evaporator is usually corroded/shot and leaks.

If the evaporator leaks, say good night Gracie.

Are you sure you need AC? Cha Ching
Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKen
You'll also need a Liquid Line and an Accumulator.

Tools to disassemble the tubes connectors.

The Evaporator and Condenser should be flushed (O'reilly has the flush stuff - two cans).

You drain the shipping fluid out of the new compressor and add 4 ounces of PAG 100 lube to it. The other 4 ounces will be poured into the accumulator.

New O-rings on all the tubes and fittings. Oil the O-rings before assembly.

Take the Heep to an AC shop and have them service the system properly ($100+). Hopefully when they vacuum the system down before charging the system it doesn't leak. The evaporator is usually corroded/shot and leaks.

If the evaporator leaks, say good night Gracie.

Are you sure you need AC? Cha Ching
Everything else on the AC seems fine, it's just the compressor as far as I can tell. And I've got a couple of mechanics weighing in with the same opinion, just from looking at it. The system keeps pressure, it just can't turn that compressor.

Also, I spent about half of what I expected to pay on a jeep. I've got money to spend, and AC is a pretty nice thing to have.