Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ A/C Condenser Line Connection Rubber Not Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 98 XJ A/C Condenser Line Connection Rubber Not Fitting

Hey all,

New to the forum - apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong section. Glad to join and looking forward to all the ideas I'll find on this forum for cutting, lifting and otherwise modding my girl to make her a better rig.

I've been replacing some parts in the front end of my 98 XJ Sport - radiator, radiator fan and A/C condenser in front of the radiator. Most of it was a simple install. With regards to the A/C condenser, the top line fit in easily due to the rubber rings being on the line running from the Jeep being decently worn in. However, when attaching the bottom line, it's the other way around, with the rubber rings on the line from the condenser . . . they're brand new, hard and I haven't been able to fit 'em no matter how much I try to muscle in, even with light oiling. It's been cold here lately in Va - 20s and below - and I was hoping that would help shrink the rubber but to no avail. I'm considering touching the rubber lightly with a heat gun to soften them up.

Anyone have any experience/tips relating to new, hard rubber and how to fit them into the female (metal) line properly? Note: I have the proper tools for the pressurized coverings, so that's a non-issue.

Thanks much,

Leif