Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ 4.0L Overheating at Idle; Now Lights all Dim and Needs Jump

Old 01-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 98 XJ 4.0L Overheating at Idle; Now Lights all Dim and Needs Jump

I read a few posts about what appears to be a common problem with '97-01 XJs where it overheats at idle and returns to normal operating temps at speed and that the fan clutch was at fault.

Before I read that, I replaced the thermostat hoping for a quick and cheap fix that I have done (too many times) before. With that not working, I read up on this forum and replaced the fan clutch. However, while I was replacing that, I noticed a leak in the (original) radiator and decided that while I have everything in that area apart, I will replace it too. So I have in total replaced the radiator, a few hoses, the fan clutch, the thermostat, and the temp sensor (which was cheap).

I got everything put back together and apparently didn't tighten the serpentine belt because there was a lot of squeaking while I was doing my test drive. I pull the Jeep back into the garage and saw that the temp was still heading towards overheating (Grrrrrrr) and shut things off.

I also noticed during this first test drive that the electric fan was not spinning after it warmed up, so I headed off to the auto store to buy a new one. I came back to install it and for some reason or another that I can't remember turned the key and all the lights were super dim. I then tried to turn it over and there was a few cranks and then clicks. I jumped it with the other car and got it going (after adjusting the belt), but once after turning it off and trying again, all the lights are dim and it won't turn over.

I'll take any advice about what could be going on? Why am I all of the sudden unable to turn the engine over and why are all the lights dim? Battery reads 11.5V as it sits now.

I am losing my mind. (Not to mention that all of the cooling system replacements haven't seemed to work, but I haven't tried the new electric fan yet).