Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Radiator Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 Radiator Woes

My 98 project XJ came with front end damage, so I'm not sure all the parts are original, especially since it has a 94ish front end. The radiator was old, tired and looked terrible, so since I needed to pull the alternator to tackle a wobbly voltage issue, I pulled the radiator.

The old one (year-unknown) had no filler neck or cap, so I don't know how you were supposed to add water/coolant. Which is obvious because there was nothing in the system. Anyway, it had four connections on the LHS: tranny cooler IN and OUT, lower coolant line to engine, and a thermostatic plug that wasn't plugged into anything.

New radiator (year-correct) has three connections on LHS: tranny cooler IN and OUT, and lower coolant line. But it has a fill connection and cap. Yea! But oddly, the old radiator had a small welded-on stub tube coming out that goes into a push-fit quick disconnect. The new radiator has a screw thread connector. Obviously, the two do NOT mate up.

Do I have the wrong radiator? Is there a small connector that is available to match up the tranny cooler lines? The top tranny cooler line unscrewed and screwed right into the new radiator like presto! The bottom one is holding up my radiator rebuild side-project.

Help!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

A '98 rad has a short metal tube at the bottom, it's for a "slip-on quick connect" fitting on one of the tranny fluid lines. The top connector on the rad is a metal male fitting.

I believe '90 and earlier rads had no filler neck/cap.....commonly referred to as "closed system"

Last edited by djb383; 07-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by djb383
A '98 rad has a short metal tube at the bottom, it's for a "slip-on quick connect" fitting on one of the tranny fluid lines. The top connector on the rad is a metal male fitting.

I believe '90 and earlier rads had no filler neck/cap.....commonly referred to as "closed system"
So how would I get a pre-90 "closed system" with the short metal tube if that's a 98 radiator?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

The radiator it came with probably was from a earlier model and was not correct one. There should be a filler neck on 98 rad. I have a '90 with no filler neck on rad. On mine I have a pressure bottle instead. One with no filler neck is for closed system, '98 is open system from factory and has filler neck.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by Scorpion8
My 98 project XJ came with front end damage, so I'm not sure all the parts are original, especially since it has a 94ish front end. The radiator was old, tired and looked terrible, so since I needed to pull the alternator to tackle a wobbly voltage issue, I pulled the radiator.

The old one (year-unknown) had no filler neck or cap, so I don't know how you were supposed to add water/coolant. Which is obvious because there was nothing in the system. Anyway, it had four connections on the LHS: tranny cooler IN and OUT, lower coolant line to engine, and a thermostatic plug that wasn't plugged into anything.

New radiator (year-correct) has three connections on LHS: tranny cooler IN and OUT, and lower coolant line. But it has a fill connection and cap. Yea! But oddly, the old radiator had a small welded-on stub tube coming out that goes into a push-fit quick disconnect. The new radiator has a screw thread connector. Obviously, the two do NOT mate up.

Do I have the wrong radiator? Is there a small connector that is available to match up the tranny cooler lines? The top tranny cooler line unscrewed and screwed right into the new radiator like presto! The bottom one is holding up my radiator rebuild side-project.

Help!
These are pics of my 1998 XJ old rad and replacement from the Radiator Barn. Copper core/brass tanks $192.00 shipped w/lifetime warranty.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Radiator Woes-img_0076.jpg   98 Radiator Woes-img_0077.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Sounds like the OP's XJ has been fubared over the years. U always hear of converting "closed" system ('90 down) to an "open" system ('91 up).
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by waltermitty
These are pics of my 1998 XJ old rad and replacement from the Radiator Barn. Copper core/brass tanks $192.00 shipped w/lifetime warranty.
Thanks! The top pic shows a stub tube that could be unscrewed and swapped over. My old radiator has the welded tube as in the bottom pic, but also has another spot for a temp sensor (which wasn't plugged into anything). Does anyone know if I can get just that stub tube, or should I return the radiator (O'Reilly's) and seek another proper replacement?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Your top tranny fluid line line should have a female threaded connector that attaches to the male threaded connector in the rad. The bottom tranny line should have female "quick connect" that pushes onto the metal tube in the bottom of the rad. If the female quick connect is missing, just slide the rubber hose over the tube and double clamp it.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by djb383
Your top tranny fluid line line should have a female threaded connector that attaches to the male threaded connector in the rad. The bottom tranny line should have female "quick connect" that pushes onto the metal tube in the bottom of the rad. If the female quick connect is missing, just slide the rubber hose over the tube and double clamp it.
That's all explained in the top post. The top tranny cooler line WILL swap over, but the bottom tranny cooler line WILL NOT. My old radiator has the welded stub tube. The new radiator has a threaded fitting, and thus no tube to marry-up with the quick-disconnect ffrom the tranny hose.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, my bad, guess they gave u the wrong rad. The correct '98 rad is shown in the pics above.