Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 cherokee lifted 4.5 inchs and I want more!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 cherokee lifted 4.5 inchs and I want more!!!

OK Im probably posting in the wrong spot and theres probably 100 posts like mine, but what I was wondering is...... I have a 98 with a 4.5 inch rough country lift and 31s, I want more.... I mean come on with out completly changing my entire set up what can I do to squeeze out 2-4 more inches? I would like to run 35s is that to much to ask for?? LOL. But seriously and help would be apriciated. O yeah check out my pics to see my rigs set up.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

2" lift coil spacers and 2" lift rear shackles will get ya 2 more inches. You will also likely need longer shocks and maybe a few other things like sway bar end links, brake lines, adjustable control arms upper and lower although I would go with a long arm kit if you want to add another couple inches.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
2" lift coil spacers and 2" lift rear shackles will get ya 2 more inches. You will also likely need longer shocks and maybe a few other things like sway bar end links, brake lines, adjustable control arms upper and lower although I would go with a long arm kit if you want to add another couple inches.
Yeah i hear ya on the long arm kit but that requires me replacing all the things that are currently on it now. I was thinking possibly coil spacers and spacers that sit under the rear leafs and on the rear axle but im unable to locate them. I understand I may have to go with diff shocks track bar and pittman arm and im ok with that. Any help would be great.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Do not go with lift blocks in the rear get new shackles or your leaf packs will pay the price. Also anything above 4-5" your control arms will sit at to steep of an angle so you will need adjustables with drop brackets at the very least. Which is why I said go long arm. Do not go up to 6.5" without doing it right or you will regret it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

^^^ okc has some good words of wisdom for ya.

Your pushing your luck now at your height. any taller and your looking for upper and lower control arms (preferably adjustable) to dial in caster angle, wheelbase etc. Add control arm drop brackets to that as well.

Basically the only things reusable is the coils and leaf pack to go a few more inches. Anything over that and your buying everything new.

Without doing it right your have an ill handling and miserable ride as well as something that doesnt perform as well as could be.

I think i'm on my 5th suspension over the course of a decade or better.. but i had to learn the hard way and inchitis would rear it's ugly head.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

If you have 4.5" already, why don't you trim some fenders bumpstop and throw in some 35's? You can do 33's with minimun trimming
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjstud
If you have 4.5" already, why don't you trim some fenders bumpstop and throw in some 35's? You can do 33's with minimun trimming
Im looking to keep my factory body lines.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Year: 1989

I say to get the long arms before worrying about more lift. I am currently in the process of collecting all the parts i need for a 4 inch lift and will be doing long arms (because i would rather have better handle and flex with 4 than try to make it work and go with taller)
Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM

I just dont understand what 2 more inches front and rear would hurt with spacers and blocks. I figure get those then get a drop pitman arm and new front brake lines and id be good. Why not? how much worse could the ride be with 2 more inches?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

The ride gets alot worse. Instead of the CA rotating up and down, they are more likely to jam back into the frame, thus causing arms and mounts to bend/break. You will also want a longer trackbar because the one you have is not designed for 6.5".
Putting a Drop arm will give you bumpsteer because your steering and trackbar angles will be off.
You will need a rear brake line aswell.
35" tires will require some axle modifications too. And you won't fit 35's on any reasonable lift without trimming.
6.5" you will need an SYE too.
What do you mean keep the body lines? I think trimming looks awesome and you can even relocate your flares if you like them.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 94xjstud
The ride gets alot worse. Instead of the CA rotating up and down, they are more likely to jam back into the frame, thus causing arms and mounts to bend/break. You will also want a longer trackbar because the one you have is not designed for 6.5".
Putting a Drop arm will give you bumpsteer because your steering and trackbar angles will be off.
You will need a rear brake line aswell.
35" tires will require some axle modifications too. And you won't fit 35's on any reasonable lift without trimming.
6.5" you will need an SYE too.
What do you mean keep the body lines? I think trimming looks awesome and you can even relocate your flares if you like them.
The way my jeep looks in the pictures now is the way I want to keep it. No hack jobs if you will on the fenders. i guess if i want to go this way ill be lookin into a lot of mods and up grades.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

The good news is that Rough Country makes a 6.5 inch lift kit that contains all of the pieces you now have in your Rough Country 4.5 inch lift kit...plus just a few additional pieces that you should be able to get from them to make yoours 6.5. Like a 2 inch lift shackle for the rear. You should already have adjustable upper and lower control arms so you'd need to get either a longer front coil spring or just get a 2 inch front spacer. Rough country told my son when he bought his 6.5 inch lift kit from them that the shocks for their 4.5 and 6.5 lift kits were the same. So, you're set for shocks, too.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have the 4.5 lift and i was thinking about puting 2 inch spacers and shackles on. If I bought CA drop brackets, how horrible would driving/ride be if i did not get adjustable CA?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

4.5" and 31s.. uncut?
pull the flares off.. cut 2 inchs off the front..
1 inch off the rear..
1" block..

6.5" i ran 33s.. uncut.. i believe cut. you could run 35s!

6.5" short arm bastard kit.. my 1st xj
Mark
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

you are never going to be able to run 35's with out cutting the fenders some and if all you want to do is get big tires and not wheel why not get a bigger truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 cherokee lifted 4.5 inchs and I want more!!!