Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

the 98 aw4 in the 97 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default the 98 aw4 in the 97 cherokee

Hello, im fresh to the forum just today in need of slight assistance. I'm almost finished swapping my old trans for a newer one. ive switched the tail cone and the harness as well and am just about ready to throw it back in. ive read up on this on a few threads in here, aparently i'm supposed to splice four wires according to frank who was replying to the thread i read. However i dont know which wires need to be spliced and i don't want to put it back in not having done this step if it needs to be done. Reason being she needs to pass emissions, so i need to be clear of the trans codes that will pop up if the wiring is not correct
Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,065 Likes on 856 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

I think the connector for the solenoids changed, so you might need to splice on the connector from the old transmission. I haven't looked at the wiring colors recently, but as I recall they are either the same or very similar (white with colored stripe versus black with the same colored stripe). Ignore the speed sensor wiring from the front of the 98 trans, as the 97 didn't have that input. If the NSS connector is different, use the NSS from the old transmission - maybe clean it while you've got it off.