Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'98 4.0 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '98 4.0 Engine Swap

So I just picked up a '98 XJ 4.0 4x4 that isn't running and plan on swapping in a running 4.0 and possibly a new radiator. This will be my first time taking on a job quite like this. Any tips out there of things that i'll run into along the way? Anything in particular I should be looking for on my quest for a new engine?
Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

buy a roll of masking tape and tape/mark all hoses, wires, vac lines, ect. this will save you huge headaches when the new one goes in. I have to ask though, what would need to be done to fix the one in it?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

agreed.

non-running doesn't mean the engine is junk. it could simply be a CPS or ECU issue.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 AM

I'm still weighing options at this point. The guy I got her from said the engine seized and no one had been able to figure it out. When I picked it up to tow it home I smelled antifreeze, so I'm thinking overheated which led to cracked head, so on, so forth and who knows what else. I do plan to get her into a shop before I do anything drastic though.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Hell, it would be easy enuff to yank the head and check it out and inspect the head gasket for any blow-outs. Figure while you're right there, good time for a cam and lifters, pushrods, rockers, water pump, etc. Be cheaper than a full engine. Although you could always do the swap now, and hot rod the hell out of the one that's in it right now...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Well, after the kids went off to their moms house yesterday I started tinkering w/ the XJ (or, 'The Dude' as my boys and I have come to know her) and started pulling out any extra wiring from the Sirius and a sub that was in the back. Not too far into it I realized there is a little red light bulb that I hadn't noticed before. So I pull out the knee buster under the column and find a disconnected Viper 300 alarm box....
So now I'm wondering if there is anything remotely wrong under the hood. Maybe this thing came unwired over the years and somehow disabled the starter?
I've never owned an alarm before (this is my 20th vehicle and the first with an alarm...and it doesn't run...does anyone else see the irony in this?) so I don't know how they work but I'm guessing there is a starter/ignition disable on them.
I'm going to try to find the manual online and give the company a call if they still exist and see what I have to do to remove every trace of this alarm, except the bulb even tho' it's not lit, it's kinda cool.
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had an alarm do this or know if there is a simple bypass. I'd guess there wouldn't be a simple bypass since it is an alarm to deter thieves from taking your ride, what point would there be if I could just take out a fuse and make it all work.
Thanks for the help