Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97' Jeep Cherokee sport, sputtering, losing power, fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default 97' Jeep Cherokee sport, sputtering, losing power, fixed!

First off, Thank you to the community. From diving through the search bar and a few youtube videos, my problem is fixed.

I think posting when a problem is fixed and the symptoms is most important to help others along the journey.

MY PROBLEM: Under load (in drive), the Jeep would sputter, spit, squawk, basically sound like a Tasmanian Devil, and have no power. In neutral, everything worked fine, I could rev the engine and she purred like a kitten. In reverse, no problem, worked just fine. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded.

I started noticing the problem when I first started the car, but it would go away after about 30 seconds of acceleration, and stay gone for the remainder of driving, unless it sat for a while (this lasted 8 months, and I was too lazy to worry about it ). A few weeks ago, it sat all weekend, and gave me the symptoms listed above.

THE SOLUTION. I had no CEL at first, then it was on, and the codes wouldn't read. After scavenging the forums on here, and other sites, I started to go through the lists (cheapest first).
*replaced fuel sending unit*(my gas gauge wasn't working, so I needed to replace it, EXPENSIVE)-negative
*Vacuum leaks* - negative
*checked 02 sensor*-negative
*checked for clogged cat*-negative
*grounds, corrosion, etc*-negative
*pulled TSP, and ECM from a friends similar jeep*-negative
Next on the list was replace electrical parts.

I then found an interesting thing about codes and how the crankshaft position sensor may be messed up, but not able to read the CEL. I followed the instructions, and boom. It showed up on the code reader.
*replaced the crank position sensor (with premium napa part), and she runs like a champ! No issues for a few days now.

TLDR; Crankshaft position sensor, won't always throw a code, or a readable code.

Thank you for all of the posts I dug through, it was a huge help, and hopefully this will help someone else along the way.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thank you for posting a follow up. Final solutions to issues we discuss are a huge help to all involved.