Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee - intermitten electrical issue, no htr fan, pwr windows, turn signals, et

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 Cherokee - intermitten electrical issue, no htr fan, pwr windows, turn signals, et

It has happened twice now. It starts and runs fine, but basically everything is inoperable. No power windows or locks, no turn signals, no HVAC fan, no wipers, no radio...I'm sure there's more I haven't even noticed. Also, the airbag light and parking brake light are lit on the instrument cluster when this happens. It will stay that way as long as it is on, and the next time I go to start it, it's fine. On one of the two occassions it would not restart (not even a click - like it had NO power). But I waited a couple minutes and it started right up.

I replaced battery cables, so I have new grounds at the block and fender. Not sure what to try next. I googled this and got a lot of hits for people with the problem, but no one ever reported back an answer.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Just a hunch, but.... I think it might be a bad ignition switch. Can I assume this happens with the ignition switch in the RUN position? Next time you see this happen jiggle/wiggle the key and see if anything changes.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Same thing happens in my dodge ram van. All I have to do is mess with the key or the tilt wheel until it all works again.^^^^^^ like the above poster said. I haven't bothered with a permanent fix for it yet so I can't help you there
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 AM

I've got a similar problem in my 95 Cherokee except my radio, HVAC, and wipers as well as the fuel, tach and speedo gauges are nonfunctional. Engine will run if the key is in Run and I crank it with a remote starter tool. Won't do anything if I put the key in Start though.

Last edited by TheKirbyMan; 04-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.