Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 xj stalling after start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 xj stalling after start up

Okay so first things first the problem started out as a sputter and misfire every once in a while usually after start up after giving it a little gas and misfiring it would come out of it and be fine, well over the course of a few weeks it started doing it more and more, we have replaced
1) o2 sensor
2)map sensor
3) distributor cap and rotor
4) tps
5)crankshaft sensor
6) spark plugs and wires
​​​​​​also have cleaned the iac with throttle body cleaner, battery terminals have been cleaned and we are still sitting in square one. Most recent replaced was the distributor in which it ran fine for about 3 miles died at rail road tracks then died again as I pulled into the parking lot and now, it will start up and just die. Can start and rev up but just dies again. I myself am stumped and even my husband who is a mechanic is about to pull his hair out, becoming an expensive and stressful situation due to it being our family vehicle and our fourth family member making his grand entrance any day now. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It can be reproduced, so that will help.

1 of 3 things is likely falling out when this happens,

1. Ignition Spark
2. Fuel Delivery/Pressure
3. Intake Air

Step one is to rule in/out those items. Bonus is that #3 is probably already ruled out. If he is a mechanic he will understand that those things must be specifically tested in order to get a "direction" in which to go. So far, the list provided is just shots from the "parts cannon".

I don't want to add to the parts cannon. But I noticed that ignition coil is not on the list. But the test for spark should be accomplished first, so that time and money is not wasted.