Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ rear passenger door child lock switch? Cannot open door now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 XJ rear passenger door child lock switch? Cannot open door now?

My rear passenger door can only be opened from the inside and I decided to try and figure out why. There is a small switch on the door below the latch that I moved forward and then closed the door. Now the door won't open from the inside or the outside.

Does anyone know how I can get the door open to move the switch back?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I dont know how accessible that switch is from the inside as i never messed with one before, but if the key refuses to work, all i can think of is to try removing the door panel to get to the backside.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 AM

There are no key locks on the rear passenger or driver side doors on my XJ. Does anyone know if the door panel can be removed with the door closed?

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
I dont know how accessible that switch is from the inside as i never messed with one before, but if the key refuses to work, all i can think of is to try removing the door panel to get to the backside.

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 08-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY
There are no key locks on the rear passenger or driver side doors on my XJ.
Sorry about that. Meant to say key FOB. If you have keyless entry, that is. If you do, try the unlock button. It should release the safety, unless its gummed up, which it very well could be. If you have manual locks, the rod may have popped off, or binding. Pulling the door panel is the only way to get in there that i know of, which wont be fun. Removing the back seat helps. More room. The PITA is getting the door panel off. Unbolt the armrests and handle, and then work your way around the outside of the panel to release the pushpins, which will likely be destroyed. Pushpins are cheap.

Aside from that, i dont know. Not without sacrificing the door panel.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 PM

I can unlock the doors manually, by switch or keyless. But since I disabled the inside door handle by stupidly flipping that switch, I cannot open the door. The outer door handle has not worked in a while and I have had to open the door by pulling the handle on the inside. Now with the stupid child lock on I cannot open the door at all. I have taken the door panels off before, but with the doors open. I have not crawled in there to check if I can get the panels off with the door closed and was hoping someone would tell me if it could be done or not.

Can you think of a reason the outer door handle would not open the door before this happened? The button almost sticks inside the handle when I press it in.

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Sorry about that. Meant to say key FOB. If you have keyless entry, that is. If you do, try the unlock button. It should release the safety, unless its gummed up, which it very well could be. If you have manual locks, the rod may have popped off, or binding. Pulling the door panel is the only way to get in there that i know of, which wont be fun. Removing the back seat helps. More room. The PITA is getting the door panel off. Unbolt the armrests and handle, and then work your way around the outside of the panel to release the pushpins, which will likely be destroyed. Pushpins are cheap.

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 08-14-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Sounds like something broke inside. Most likely the rod that opens the door from the outside something must of broke in the linkage somewhere. I never opened mine and never had a gander inside so idk what it looks like inside. I would start there.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Also mine sticks a little so maybe push the door in and then see if it will open.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM

It used to open with the right pressure near the window, now not at all (before the switch flip). I will see about getting inside the door with it closed.

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Also mine sticks a little so maybe push the door in and then see if it will open.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would remove the inside panel and try to play around with tab on the latch that the outer rear handle attaches onto. the handle might not work, but maybe it's only the push button or rod that is broken.

the rear latch is more accessible than the front, so at least there's that.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:05 PM

I will give it a shot this week. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cane
i would remove the inside panel and try to play around with tab on the latch that the outer rear handle attaches onto. the handle might not work, but maybe it's only the push button or rod that is broken.

the rear latch is more accessible than the front, so at least there's that.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:31 PM

did u ever manage to figure this out? exact same mistake i made ..

Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY
My rear passenger door can only be opened from the inside and I decided to try and figure out why. There is a small switch on the door below the latch that I moved forward and then closed the door. Now the door won't open from the inside or the outside.

Does anyone know how I can get the door open to move the switch back?

Old 09-10-2023, 11:04 PM

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The rear doors are pretty easy to disassemble while closed since you can get a clear shot at it with the seat-bottom removed
The following users liked this post:
oooxj (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Malcolm
The rear doors are pretty easy to disassemble while closed since you can get a clear shot at it with the seat-bottom removed
thanks jim i’ll give it a shot