Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 xj loud clunk and now shift ass. leans to the right

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 xj loud clunk and now shift ***. leans to the right

I was how to stop sign put it into first to take off and I heard a loud clunk then I couldn't get it into gear and noticed my shifter assembly was leaning to the right and my engine sounded weird. I finally was able to get it into 1st through 4th but I cannot get it into 5th or reverse. I pop the hood and saw a broken piece of plastic layer on top of my motor and it's making a loud noise like something is rubbing on my fan shroud.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Simple One
I was how to stop sign put it into first to take off and I heard a loud clunk then I couldn't get it into gear and noticed my shifter assembly was leaning to the right and my engine sounded weird. I finally was able to get it into 1st through 4th but I cannot get it into 5th or reverse. I pop the hood and saw a broken piece of plastic layer on top of my motor and it's making a loud noise like something is rubbing on my fan shroud.
motor mount??
Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Your motor mounts have failed.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Default Hey thanks

That's what i thought, is that a hard fix? I hope it's not trany mounts or clutch. I'm pretty mechanical and do all my own work, but never did mounts before.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Check the passenger side motor mount bracket on the engine. In some years the mounting holes were not drilled deep enough in the block, and the motor mount bracket bolts were torqued against the bottom of the hole instead of the bracket plate. That allowed the bracket to move slightly, and over time the vibration causes the bolts to fail and the bracket to separate from the engine. The engine then tilts forward and to the right, the fan goes into the radiator and the shifter suddenly tilts to the right. The plastic you saw is probably from your fan shroud. Look for damage to your radiator as well.

The best thing to do is replace not only your motor mounts, but also the brackets on both sides of the engine with a set of thicker brackets from either Iron Man or Brown Dog. They're not cheap, but Brown Dog gives a 10% forum discount if you ask for it. If you want to stay with OEM brackets and motor mounts, you'll need to shim the engine bolts with washers to make sure they're torquing against the bracket and not the bottom of the hole.

You'll need to lift the engine to swap the motor mounts and brackets. In a normal swap you can jack it up with a board under the oil pan for support, but I'm not sure if that will work with the engine tilted. You might as well replace your transmission mount while you're at it, because you'll need to loosen it anyway to allow the motor to move freely while you replace the engine mounts.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Thank you so much!

I'll give that a try.
Very useful and prompt reply!
I work at a ski resort and you may have saved my job!!
Thanks again~
~Simple1
Old 11-25-2016, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I'll drink to that.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

That's what i thought, is that a hard fix? I hope it's not trany mounts or clutch. I'm pretty mechanical and do all my own work, but never did mounts before.
It's not too awful. You'll need to jack the engine up and down to work the bolts in. There are a few youtube videos if I recall. Do both mounts and the tranny mount all at the same time.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Default All 3 bolts sheared off!

I removed the bracket and all 3 bolts are stuck in the block. I'd love to hear of options for removal as i do not have a right angle drill. I read about welding a rod to the ends but there isn't much room.
Thanks again for the prompt replies!

Last edited by Simple One; 11-27-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

If you didnt break the bolts yet, try getting them hot as a pistol with a propane torch then cranking on them. You're going to need 1/2" drive ratchet and breaker bar and extensions and swivels and 6 point sockets. A little heat goes a long way on OE bolts. Not to mention liberal application of PB Blaster, cussing, patience, and repeat the PB Blaster.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 11-27-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Banned

I removed the bracket and all 3 bolts are stuck in the block. I'd love to hear of options for removal as i do not have a right angle drill. I read about welding a rod to the ends but there isn't much room.
If you have a welder, one thing you can try is to find a nut that will slip over the end of the stud that's sticking out, then weld inside the nut to join them up. Then you have a "head" on the bolt that is the thickness of a nut to give you more surface area for your wrench. I haven't done it myself, but that's how my grandad used to get broken bolts out.

If that's not possible, is there enough bolt sticking out to get a pair of vice grips on them?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:28 PM

Default I wish.

This is what I've got to work with.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Banned

I think maybe it's time to buy a right angle drill and some left handed drill bits.

ETA: Here's another thread detailing what other people have done to get them out:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bro...removal-32757/

One guy said he cut a slot in his with a Dremel and used a screwdriver to get them out.

Last edited by extrashaky; 11-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Thanks for all the help!

I'll try that!!
Sounds fun.