Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 xj factory alarm

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 96 xj factory alarm

I just purchased a 96 cherokee xj and am wanting to know if the black trim piece in headliner by rv mirror is part of factory alarm? I've read of issues with fact alarms but would like to purchase key fob. How can i check if alarm's not junked?
Ty
Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by DSFB 96XJ
I just purchased a 96 cherokee xj and am wanting to know if the black trim piece in headliner by rv mirror is part of factory alarm? I've read of issues with fact alarms but would like to purchase key fob. How can i check if alarm's not junked?
Ty
As far as I know, if you are referring to that black bubble inside the plastic trim on the front headliner above the front seats, that should be the infrared receiver for the factory alarm, so you would point the remote at the dome thing and it would unlock, at least that's how it was in mine before I got a aftermarket system. And honestly, I don't know how to check it. You can just borrow a friends spare remote and pair it to your alarm system to test it. Or just buy a little cheap remote and pair it.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The manual describes how to program the IR (Infrared) remote to the factory keyless entry system, which was used on the later Grand Wagoneer SJ's, the 1993-95 Grand Cherokee ZJ and 1993 Grand Wagoneer ZJ, and the late 1980s thru 1996 Cherokee XJ:

1. With your key, start the Jeep by turning to the Run position, and shut the front driver's door. MANUALLY lock the front driver's door with the slider.
2. Hold the keyless remote you want to program up close to the little plastic bubble dome in the overhead console while pressing and holding the 'Unlock' button on the keyless remote.
3. Once the red LED on the keyless remote flashes, your keyless remote is programmed to the system. Test it out and make sure it's working properly.

With the older system, you can ONLY program up to 2 keyless remotes to the system, and then any other keyless remote programmed after that will override the programming for keyless remote 1 and keyless remote 2, respectively.

The keyfob from a 1993-96 Cherokee XJ or 1993-95 Grand Cherokee ZJ should work, but they ARE more expensive than the "newer-style" remotes that were used starting with the 1996 Grand Cherokee ZJ... but that's the price you pay for being able to do the programming yourself vs. the cheaper "newer-style" remotes that MUST be programmed by a dealership or locksmith that has the right equipment to hook up to your OBD-II port at the bottom of the dashboard, near the front driver's side footwell.

Here's the remote you need... I purchased mine off of eBay for about $70, but I'm sure they're cheaper now: http://www.teamgrandcherokee.com/key...kee-1993-1995/

Also, just because you had factory keyless entry does NOT mean that you have the factory alarm system... my old '94 ZJ had the factory keyless entry option but NOT the factory alarm system.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Thank you for the help. I'll probably go with an aftermarket since i was unaware of the chance of "if" sensor maybe being just decorative n not functional.