Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cranks but no start, no gauges, no radio, etc

Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Default 96 Cranks but no start, no gauges, no radio, etc

So I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Larado that won't start (~200k miles). It cranks and sounds like its catching but wont run.

When the key is turned forward the gauges do nothing and nothing gets power including the radio, blower motor, windows, etc. I've read that the CPS can cause the no gauge/start issue but unplugging it and turning the key to run still results in no gauges.

I've gone through the fuse block on the passenger side and the fuse block under the hood and nothing is blown. I've also tried playing "musical relays" (swapping them around) with no luck.

Despite my best efforts with googling, everything I come across involving no gauges is either a bad fuse or bad CPS and that doesn't seem to be my problem.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I should mention that before this happened I was tooling around in the snow doing donuts and whatnot and the jeep seemed to occasionally almost die like the battery came unhooked but would continue on. Not sure if that helps at all but figured I should mention it.

Last edited by extremeodd; 03-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

You should check and clean your grounds and battery cables.

Once you're sure you have solid ground connections and tight battery cables (and no blown fuses). I'd consider the ignition switch - mainly because you have no accessory power and the ignition switch is involved in both starting and accessory operation.

Typically the first questions on a crank-no-start are 1)is there spark and 2)is there fuel? That would be the next step.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

The battery terminals are clean and tight, plus no blown fuses. Due to the amount of snow I haven't been able to check out the grounds yet. Is there a chart of where the grounding points are that I could reference?

In the mean time, I'll try digging into the ignition switch. I did notice the last time it drove after I turned it off and removed the key I was able to roll up the drivers side window (door open) which seemed odd.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ele...wn-etc-186622/

This has good pictures for the XJ. The GC is likely similar.
I'd look at the ignition coil area grounds and obviously the battery cables as a priority.