Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 cherokee xj no cranck no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 cherokee xj no cranck no start

daily diver then just wouldnt start. new used starter,tested good. new starter relay. still no crank. turn the key and there is power and i can hear relays clicking. tried to jump start and still nothing. checked for fauly wires. screw driver test cranks the starter. For the first time i am stumped with the jeep! any clues?
Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Auto trans? Could be the NSS (neutral safety switch). Try starting it while shaking the shifter in park. If nothing see if it will start in neutral.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty! That was my 3rd thought after starter and relay. no neutral start, no push start, nothing. even lightly silicone sprayed the shifter button and played with it for 20min and throwin it in park just makin sure. clean cable ends and terminals. wont even jump start. ignition is what im thinking its boiled down to. Any other ideas b4 i buy another part for it to NOT be the right one?? any replies appreciated!!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You should be testing for voltage at the starter solenoid when key is turned to start position. If voltage is detected there when key is turned to start, then the problem is in the solenoid or battery to starter cable. If -no- voltage is detected there then you move upstream and check relay (sounds like you already did). If the relay is not being tripped, then you need to look up jumping the NSS connector to rule out the NSS. If still no start, then start working towards ignition switch and the possibility that it is not providing appropriate voltage when in the start position.

There aren't too many items between your key and the starter (relatively speaking).