Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cherokee Converter lockup and stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 Cherokee Converter lockup and stalling Issue

A buddy of mine brought me his 96 Cherokee 4.0 auto to do some work on, so far I have fixed the brakes, AC ,ignition switch, adjusted the 4x4 linkage and flushed the cooling system. It is running pretty good now but it still has a couple of issues. First it has a issue where it sometimes stalls when going back to idle, like when you are climbing a hill and let off of the gas it will quit, It always starts back up fine after it quits. The previous owner put on a new fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor, coil, idle control valve and TPS. I think it may be the injectors or a plugged up cat converter but it has plenty of power and isn't throwing any codes so I am not sure. Also I have noticed that the torque converter isn't locking either, the neutral safety switch is jumped so it will run so that could be the problem but when I had the NSS jumped on my 97 I don't remember it not locking the converter. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

with the idle issue did you clean the throttlebody and idle air control valve? thats a common issue with stalling. Nothing should be carboned up and black in there.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
with the idle issue did you clean the throttlebody and idle air control valve? thats a common issue with stalling. Nothing should be carboned up and black in there.
I didn't clean the throttle body but the Idle air control valve is brand new.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

clean the throttlebody lol. No matter if it has a new iac the gunk around it will cause it to die anyways and clean the port the iac valve goes into as well.