Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'96 Cherokee 4.0 Runs but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default '96 Cherokee 4.0 Runs but won't start

Looking for some advice... I started having to give my Jeep gas to start about . At first it seemed pretty minor - only had to do it when the tank was super low. It got worse and worse over the next two weeks and now it basically won't start at all. No major issues once the car is running, though, and If I turn it off and don't let it sit too long, it started up like normal.

About a month ago my alternator went bad. Changed it on the side of the road, got the car running again. Is there something I could've done wrong, broken, etc, to cause this? I'm suspect that in our roadside tinkering we messed up the fuel pump relay. Would this cause this sort of issue?

It's also been cold here - low20s-mid30s. Maybe there's some sort of temperature-related issue?

The only other thing I can think of is I was getting sort of a hiccup every once in a while while running. Maybe a cylinder misfiring?

Thanks, and any help is appreciate.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1. Any check engine light? If so, you must pull codes for clues/guidance on where to start.

2. Test fuel pressure. This is an absolutely essential test and one of the first things any tech worth their salt would do immediately if you brought it into their shop. For an early 96 build with the fuel pressure regulator under the hood, you need 31 psi to run the engine. Then disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator and pressure should jump to approx. 39 psi. If you have a later build 96 (the year was split with fuel systems), then you need 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi. You gotta test fuel! If you don't have access to a fuel pressure test kit, they can often be rented inexpensively from your local parts store. Call around for availability.

3. What is the history of routine tuneup maintenance? Fresh Champion plugs gapped to .035, quality plug wires, distributor cap and rotor go a long ways for starting. If early 96 build, replace your fuel filter which should be located along the frame rail about midway.

Basics first; always. Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.