Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 battery died now fuel pump won't turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 96 battery died now fuel pump won't turn on?

So I have an xj that I usually drive during winter months and when I want to have fun in the summer. I went out to fire it up and the battery was dead. Got a new battery, hooked it up, now it cranks fine but won't run, unhooked battery and rehooked it back up, nothing, sprayed some carb cleaner in intake and it will run for a few seconds so it is getting spark. Noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump, switched around relays, checked out good. Went to fuel rail and pushed in the pin, no fuel coming out whatsoever while cranking or after priming. Grabbed a test light, climbed under the tank and checked the fuel pump connector at the red power wire, checked out as its getting power down to the connector and through as I also checked the wire after the plug. Unhooked fuel line from the fuel filter to see if it was clogged causing an issue, still no fuel coming from the tank line.

So where I am at at this point is it is getting power but not kicking on at all, hit it with a hammer, nothing lol. Am I missing a step somewhere or overlooking something or is it just the fuel pump craped out and not working at all?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like you missed checking for a good ground (negative) at the pump connector in addition to the positive that you found. The ground should always be available, and is not controlled by the computer or anything. It is typically just screwed into the body behind the trim panel that the spare tire mounts on. There should also be a small ground that runs from your battery negative post to the fender (about 4 inches long).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 12-28-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 PM

So would I just get a long st of jumper wires and run it from the negative to the fuel pump. Not sure what fuel pump wire is the ground though?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Here is the pinout for the 96 fuel pump connector. Ground is pin 6, and should correspond to a 14g Black wire. Keeping in mind that this diagram shows the harness connector (the side attached to the vehicle, not the one that comes from the pump).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 12-28-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Dropped the tank, broke one of the hangers so now we have a ratchet strap holding one side. Removed fuel pump assemble. The plug connecting to the fuel pump had the black wire burned and plastic clip area melted... likely my issue there. Jamed a spade pin in the terminal to re pin it, crimped and soldered to wire. Put everything back, btw the fill hoses are a pain to get back onto the tank as you have no hand room and the tank wobbles around on the jack "the weather may have been an issue as well, snow". Primed it a few times, fired up and works. Anyone ever see that wire connector that plugs into the pump melt before. Seems sketchy as it's inside the gas tank lol.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I would check and clean fuel pump ground.. Back left rear inner panel has ground G302 for the fuel pump..The ground point might need some cleaning.