Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'96 4.0 Liter H.O engine pix / questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Default '96 4.0 Liter H.O engine pix / questions

Found where the water leak is coming from. What ARE these - "adjustable" freeze plugs? I poured water in and it immediately came out plug number four which appears to have already been replaced. I tightened the 3/8" nut and the leak stopped. Uh..... think I should replace this with a "REAL" freeze plug or replace with this adjustable kind while I have it exposed?....

http://build-it.onmyfacebeforehim.co...%20leaking.jpg

Taking the engine apart to see if I had a freeze-plug or a cracked block problem, I see this hiding under the intake manifold. This looks more like a header than a stock manifold - is this a factory "High Output" manifold or have I gotten lucky and somebody earlier already replaced the old manifold with this gem? Can't find any ID tag on it...

http://build-it.onmyfacebeforehim.co...%20header..jpg

And last but not least... While I have it off, what's the best way to clean this thing? I'm a fuel injection virgin - I've overhauled a shi _ _ load of Rochester 4 BBL carbs in my 10 years as a Pontiac tech in the 70's but this is my FIRST exposure to this. Should the injectors be replaced while I have this out? The injector seats look pretty rotten - probably NEVER been cleaned.

http://build-it.onmyfacebeforehim.co...ty%20thing.jpg

Hoping you can help - thanks for the read...
Dirty and worn out,
Mark
Old 03-13-2016, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Jeez, I haven't seen those in a while. My understanding is that those are a "get by until payday" type of fix, not meant for long term service. Replace with standard brass plugs.

Yes, that is the factory exhaust manifold.

Strip that intake down and steam clean it or hit it with a good degreaser or carb/throttle body cleaner and a brush you don't care about. Same goes for your throttle body, remove anything with a wire coming from it, disassemble the rest and scrub... Your idle quality will thank you. One cautionary word, the gasket between the throttle body and the Idle Air Control valve housing will likely be brittle and if it breaks you'll need to make a new one, so be prepared for that as no one is making replacements, at least none that I found when mine crumbled. Here's what mine looked like before/during... I do believe this is almost 200k worth of buildup, in the time since I've checked it several times and the throttle body is still sparkling clean.

Getting the crud out of the bore of the Idle Air Control valve... This was causing my bouncing idle issue.

As for your injectors, if there's nothing wrong with them, replace the o-rings at both ends and call it good. If you have concerns, there's no better time than now to get a set that's been cleaned, serviced, etc. There is a member on the forum (programbo) that does them as well as vendors on eBay. There is also the option to upgrade to the 4-hole nozzle injectors (vs. the single hole units the factory equipped)

Good luck!