Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 XJ engine/acceleration stutter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 95 XJ engine/acceleration stutter

Engine is from a 95 Cherokee and recently had a bit of acceleration stutter that would happen randomly, mostly from 60-75 mph or 2000-2500 rpms....park and go to drive later the same day and it runs just fine. Just replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributer cap, and rotor button still giving stutter but more frequently also now idles at 800 rpms and sounds rough. Anyone have a solution for this?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Could be a number of things, but the first thing that comes to mind is the heavy fuel demand that is present to accelerate from 65-75 mph. A fuel pump that can't keep up the proper pressure under that demand can cause a rough running stutter. It can be hard to get a fuel pressure reading under these circumstances though. Is it the original fuel pump?

The torque load when accelerating at that speed is pretty high as well, and sometimes that can point to a drive shaft u-joint (typically in the rear) that is not doing well when under heavy load. However, in my experience these will also present themselves in the 35-45 mph while accelerating (usually just as the transmission goes into 4th). Often felt as a shuttering vibration that you can feel with your hand on the floor just in front of the center of the rear bench seat. Also, with u-joints the shutter will stop or diminish as soon as the load/acceleration is removed.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Could be a number of things, but the first thing that comes to mind is the heavy fuel demand that is present to accelerate from 65-75 mph. A fuel pump that can't keep up the proper pressure under that demand can cause a rough running stutter. It can be hard to get a fuel pressure reading under these circumstances though. Is it the original fuel pump?

The torque load when accelerating at that speed is pretty high as well, and sometimes that can point to a drive shaft u-joint (typically in the rear) that is not doing well when under heavy load. However, in my experience these will also present themselves in the 35-45 mph while accelerating (usually just as the transmission goes into 4th). Often felt as a shuttering vibration that you can feel with your hand on the floor just in front of the center of the rear bench seat. Also, with u-joints the shutter will stop or diminish as soon as the load/acceleration is removed.

I’m the third owner so I have no clue what’s been done by anyone other than myself. As far as I know the fuel assembly is original. I do know there is no cat converter and hasn’t been for at least a year. The shutter you describe sounds like something it’s always done at 60-70 mph but only felt it in the steering wheel and suspension and only at this speeds. The stutter I’m experiencing now feels more like loss of power (maybe with air flow?) that very abruptly stops me from accelerating, kinda like me suddenly hitting the breaks while trying to accelerate. It will do it even in low gears anywhere from 15-45 mph. Also with it idling lower than normal now has me concerned. I’m not very experienced or wealthy and this is my daily driver.